Web Service open browser?? RRS feed

• Question

• User317544533 posted

I pass a parcel ID number to my web service and it returns a list of property photos for that property. Is it possible to have the web service open a web browser to display the pictures? VB.NET. When I run the web service locally on my PC, I can get a browser to open a browser and it displays the pictures. When I publish web service to our web server, I get the list of pictures, but I can't get a browser to open to display the pictures.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:54 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

4MyBoyz

I pass a parcel ID number to my web service and it returns a list of property photos for that property. Is it possible to have the web service open a web browser to display the pictures? VB.NET. When I run the web service locally on my PC, I can get a browser to open a browser and it displays the pictures. When I publish web service to our web server, I get the list of pictures, but I can't get a browser to open to display the pictures.

It works locally because the development machine is both the client and the server.  Keep in mind, the code is running on a web server.  

It is not possible for a remote web server to open a browser on the clients machine without installing software and setting up configuration on the client machine/network.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 3:17 PM
  • User317544533 posted

Thanks, I kind of figured it worked locally because my machine was acting as the client and the server. Thank you for confirming that a remote server cannot open a browser on random client machines. I will work in a new direction.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:21 PM