none
Protect own shapes in stencil when inserting

Question

• Hi all,

I use visio for collegues who don't have dwg/dxf access.

To discuss factory layouts a dwg plan is the blueprint and machines are displayed as custom made shapes.

To avoid shape size being resized I would like to protect them. There is the option to do so in developers tab and this works after insertion. I would like to know if the default setting of a shape can be set as "protected" on certain items when inserting from library to the sheet.

Best regards,

Wilco

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:33 AM

Answers

• Yes, easy to do. Put the stencil into edit mode, then edit each shape and set the shape protection for Width and Height. Unfortunately this needs to be done per shape. Then save the stencil and close edit mode.

Paul Herber, Engineering and software shapes for Visio
    Paul Herber

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:59 AM

All replies

• Yes, easy to do. Put the stencil into edit mode, then edit each shape and set the shape protection for Width and Height. Unfortunately this needs to be done per shape. Then save the stencil and close edit mode.

Paul Herber, Engineering and software shapes for Visio
    Paul Herber

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hi Wilco,

As far as I know, there is no build-in feature to automatically protect shapes in stencil when inserting. You can follow Paul's suggestion to have a check. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

For more information on shape protection in Visio, read Prevent or allow changes to shapes.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:58 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Not sure if it was exact the solution you meant but I resolved it as follows.

1) making a shape and setting protection

2) adding shape to library in stencil

3) on inserting the settings which were present on shape when adding it to the library are kept

So updating in library won't work but adding a shape to library with new settings (as an altered copy) will.

Thanks for helping out!

Best regards,

Wilco

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:40 AM