Broken Cert at Website but not in IIS RRS feed

• Question

• User2054006432 posted

I have a CA Root-signed certificate that is bound to 443 for my website. Using Chrome, When I access the site I still get a "this is not private" warning. I click the "Not Secure" warning and select the "certificate" option. It shows a broken cert/cert chain. 

Can anyone help me understand this?

Thanks!

Monday, March 22, 2021 1:47 PM

All replies

• User1065476709 posted

Hi jclingo,

I have a CA Root-signed certificate that is bound to 443 for my website. Using Chrome, When I access the site I still get a "this is not private" warning. I click the "Not Secure" warning and select the "certificate" option. It shows a broken cert/cert chain. 

Chrome will return this error if the certificate is not a trusted ca certificate. I think you could just ignore this issue until you need to expose the website to public and use a public CA certificate for this website.

Of course, you could add the self-signed cerificate to chrome ca store:

https://superuser.com/questions/1083766/how-do-i-deal-with-neterr-cert-authority-invalid-in-chrome.

Best regards,

Sam

Tuesday, March 23, 2021 4:14 AM
  • User690216013 posted

You have to run a report and share that with others. Without nobody knows what kind of certificate you installed.

The error message indicates that you might have forgotten to install intermediate certificates following the instructions of your certificate authority. Review what they provided and confirm you have followed every single step.

Tuesday, March 23, 2021 6:26 AM