none
Cannot RDP into a VM RRS feed

• Question

• Both myself and an IT partner are suddenly unable to RDP into an Azure VM. We are both getting an error message stating "Remote Desktop cannot connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons".

I have tried a number of suggestions I have found on the forums:

• Restarted the instance.
    • Changed the VM size to a lower option then returned to the original size (A2).
    • Deleted the RDP Endpoint and re-created it.

I notice that the RDP Thumbprint is showing "-" in the management portal.

Please help!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the status of the VM? which datacenter is the VM in? If you have other Azure VMs, please try to RDP into it to see if the same issue existes. Or you can try to connect from another network, maybe it is due to the firewall block the related ports in your present network.

Best regards,

Susie

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:10 AM
  • Thank you for your response. This VM is located in Europe North.

When we first noticed the problem we only had one VM. I have created a second VM which we can RDP into.

Since posting I have taken the steps of deleting the affected VM and attaching the VHD to the working VM. From looking through the event logs the OS appears to be booting fine. I have noticed the following entry in the event log which I think might be causing the problem:

Event 36870, Schannel

A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x8009030d. The internal error state is 10001.

Does this sound reasonable?

EDIT: This error has been noted in the event logs before we started having problems using RDP. Don't think it could be the above.
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:57 AM