Error 1935 When Installing SQL Server 2008 Express on Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I need to install SQL Server 2008 Express on Windows 7 x64 but keep failing. I've searched and tried so many method listed on many forums to no avail. Please kindly help.

These are the error message that I was getting:

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly
    'Microsoft.VC90.ATL,version="9.0.21022.8",publicKey Token="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86", type="win32". Please refer to Help and Suppoer for more information. HRESULT: 0x8007054F.

AND

An error occurred during the installation of assembly
    'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,version="8.0.50727.1801",publicKey Token="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="amd64", type="win32". Please refer to Help and Suppoer for more information.

Additional information:
    - I have no other SQL instances present on every install (I always uninstall it first and clean up the residue files on C:\Program files (and the x86 one)\Microsoft SQL Server\)
    - I have Visual Studio Express 2010 installed
    - I fundamentally require only SQL Server service and SQL Server Management Studio, but I've tried all installer on the Microsoft website just in case one is working.

This are the files that I've tried:
    SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe
    SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe
    SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe
    SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU
    SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe
    msxml6_x64.exe

I tried 2005 too:
    SQLServer2005SP3-KB955706-x64-ENU.exe
    SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.exe

- Sometimes (I forgot which times), I run the installation files from cmd prompt (run as administrator, some people said it tackles the UAC).

- Sometimes I disabled the UAC completely from the Control Panel as another suggested

- I closed my antivirus, that is McAfee from Ctrl+Alt+Del and End Process Tree

- I deleted the value in Registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" > "PendingFileRenameOperations" as another forum suggested

- I can't find "\users\(my profile)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft_Corporation\" so I guess I don't need to delete it (as indicated in another forum)

Please please kindly help if you know any suggestion to this. I've been trying to install this for 1 week now.. ^^ The frustration level is quite high by now *hikks*

Thank you very very much.

Best regards,

Lina
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:06 AM

Answers

• FYI, for anyone else experiencing this issue, I was trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 in a virtual environment (using VMWare). Apparently the problem was caused when I mounted an ISO image of the SQL installation disk so it looked in my VM as if it were my D:\ drive. If I copied the installation files into the VM itself and ran the installation from there (instead of as a mounted ISO) it worked.

Blog: blog.beckybertram.com | RSS | @beckybertram | SharePoint 2010: Six-in-One

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Lina,

This is a known issue. You could refer to the following article:

Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.ATL,version': http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970652

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Hi Tom Li,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the thread "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970652" didn't solve the error. I still get the same error.

The PC had been restarted (I even shutdown, then turn it on again). I check on the registry (regedit.exe), there's no "COMPONENTS" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", so I guess there weren't any residual entries. So I proceed with the install, "SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe" from command prompt (run as administrator).

I got the SQL Server installed, but got the same error when it come to the SQL Management Studio.

I checked the registry again, there IS "COMPONENTS" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", but there's no "PendingXmlIdentifier", "NextQueueEntryIndex", nor "AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving".

I started "Windows update", download and install all the updates available. I failed to do so, there's still 3 items in the windows update to complete, getting the same error (the one with "VC90"). I restarted one more time. Checked on the registry (regedit.exe), there's no "COMPONENTS" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" anymore. I restarted and reinstalled several times, trying to complete the updates, but to no avail. Is there any alternative solution to the above error other that the thread that you mentioned that I can try?

Thank you very much. Please advise.

Best regards,

Lina

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Hi Lina,

Based on my research, this issue might be caused by installing of Visual Studio Tolls for Application 2.0.

For further investigation, could you please provide us the following filr by sending mail?
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Hi Tom Li,

Thank you very much for the response.

I've sent you the mail attaching the CBS.log as per requested through email.

I am not sure what is "Visual Studio Tolls for Application 2.0". I checked and I can't find it listed on the "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features".

Best regards,

Lina

Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Hi LIna,

Sorry for not being clear enough.

From the setup log you sent us, this error might occur when the installation tries installing "trin_aide.msi".
    "trin_aide.msi" is the installation of "Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0".

Could you please try installing this application manually and try installing SQL Server 2008 Express again?

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

I have same problem. I've tried to install trin_aide.msi manualy but I've received same error. Maybe someone got solution ?

Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:30 PM
  • After 2 days of tests\googling I've found solution: Windows 7 Repair Install. 
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:12 PM
  • FYI, for anyone else experiencing this issue, I was trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 in a virtual environment (using VMWare). Apparently the problem was caused when I mounted an ISO image of the SQL installation disk so it looked in my VM as if it were my D:\ drive. If I copied the installation files into the VM itself and ran the installation from there (instead of as a mounted ISO) it worked.

Blog: blog.beckybertram.com | RSS | @beckybertram | SharePoint 2010: Six-in-One

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:48 AM