none
Trying to write a non-web-based photo tagging app RRS feed

• Question

• So this is my first foray into writing a database app so any help or points in the right direction would be much appreciated. I am running Visual Studio 2005 and I am planning on writing it in VB.net.

I am trying to write a windows forms app that enables a user to add tags to the existing photos on his/her computer. The photos could then be sorted and searched by their associated tags. The eventual size of the database would be somewhere between 10K-30k photos. 

Here are the questions I hope someone can help me with:

- I assume that in this case using and MS Access database is a better choice over a SQL dbase since I can connect directly to the Access database from within my app. If I used SQL dbase the user of my app would have to have sql server running for connection to the database correct?

- Assuming I use an Access Dbase, is there any way to generate one from scratch within Visual Studio 2005? I don't have MS Access so I am trying to find some way to create an Access Dbase without having to shell out cash for Access.

- Any suggestions on the schema? My plan is to use the one proposed in this post:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/pages/Building-a-Photo-Management-Tagging-Site-using-ASP.NET-2.0_2C00_-LINQ_2C00_-and-Atlas.aspx

In advance thanks for any help you can provide!

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:44 PM

Answers

• You still need to install SQL Server Express on a target PC. You cannot just copy database file to the client and it will start to work. After SQL Server Express is installed, you could just copy database file. Basically it is one-time installation on a client's side. Here are more details about options to distribute SQL Server Express

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165639.aspx

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:13 AM

All replies

• How about using Sql Server Compact Edition (SqlServer CE) instead of Ms-Access?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:45 AM
  • What are the benefits of using SqlServer CE over Access? Again a bit new to this so any info is appreciated!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Did you mean Express edition, not compact edition? CE is for mobile devices, but express edition is a light version of SQL Server. I believe SQL Server Express is a better choice and allows to upgrade to full version (if it is required in future) without any changes in a code. Access database has tendency to grow fast and collect garbage inside that needs to be cleaned up periodically to avoid issues with the size limit. I know that in a case of storing any binary data into Access, size limit could be a big issue pretty soon after you start development. In addition SQL Server allows you to use more powerful features inside of stored procedures and make application more scalable and maintainable.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:25 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I guess my main question is, if I write an app around a SQL Server database, is there a way that I can write it so that users of my app don't have to instal SQL Server as well? In other words, they download my installer, install it and they are ready to go without having to either install or buy SQL server?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:07 PM
  • You still need to install SQL Server Express on a target PC. You cannot just copy database file to the client and it will start to work. After SQL Server Express is installed, you could just copy database file. Basically it is one-time installation on a client's side. Here are more details about options to distribute SQL Server Express

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165639.aspx

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:13 AM