JavaScript not refreshing in Edge RRS feed

• Question

• User438705957 posted

Our organisation has just upgraded to the latest Edge browser.

Whenever I migrate a modified JavaScript file to Production, it doesn't always take the latest change immediately.

I have the following  ?v=1 flag set on the script tag, which is supposed to ignore browser caching, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

<script link rel="preload" src="Scripts/TRACS/TRACS_Common.js?v=1"></script>

In order for the change to take effect, I have to delete the cache from Setting--> History

Further, the problem is intermittent. Sometimes it takes the change immediately, sometimes not.

Is there a flag I can set in code, in IIS or the browser, to make Edge honour the latest version.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 12:09 AM

Answers

• User409696431 posted

To clarify: ?v=1 doesn't ignore browser caching.  It caches ?v=1.  What ignores caching is changing that number each time you change the file (v=2, v=3, ...) so that a new version is fetched (and cached).

Are you changing the number?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:35 AM

All replies

• User-1330468790 posted

Hi Madog,

Have you changed the value of suffix "v=xxx" when you update the JavaScript file?

If so, that is really weird since the file is treated as a new resource and the browser should not use cache.

There is another option that you could set the header to force browsers to clear cache.

Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
    Pragma: no-cache
    Expires: 0

Above headers will be working for all browsers mentioned below:

Internet Explorer 6+
    Firefox 1.5+
    Safari 3+
    Opera 9+
    Chrome

More details, you could refer  to below link which provides you with a comprehensive explanation about this issue.

How do we control web page caching, across all browsers?

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Sean

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 2:22 AM
  • User409696431 posted

To clarify: ?v=1 doesn't ignore browser caching.  It caches ?v=1.  What ignores caching is changing that number each time you change the file (v=2, v=3, ...) so that a new version is fetched (and cached).

Are you changing the number?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:35 AM
  • User438705957 posted

Ok. Thanks KathyW.

i had the wrong impression of that. I thought it forced the browser to fetch the latest version.

Now I understood I have to change the value of that parameter each time, in order to force it to fetch the latest version from the server.

What I don’t get is why it didn’t happen under IE 11

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:49 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

IE11 is not as aggressive with caching as chrome or edge.

Tuesday, September 8, 2020 2:22 PM