Can Push Notification be tested on Local machine with test app? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to get a package SID and client secret for test app on local machine or simulator before uploading it onto windows store?

Regards,

Kruthika

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:09 AM

Answers

• Yes, this is entirely supported--you can get an SID and client secret for any app that has a name reserved in the Windows Store dashboard. See the How to authenticate with WNS topic in the docs for details.

If you want to test both your service and your app on the same local machine, you can do that through the localhost, which is enabled for debugging. If you have Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, then you can use that to run both client app and service in their respective debuggers. If you're using Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 for the client side, then you can also download Visual Studio Expression 2012 for Web to do the service.

I've written up how to use such a setup in Chapter 13 of my book (linked below), starting in the section "Using the Localhost" (page 595 of the PDF). I'm also in the middle of a series of posts on the Windows 8 Developer Blog, entitled "Alive with Activity" that covers these details as well. Part 1 and Part 2 are up now, Part 2 is supposed to go up today, and part 3, which will cover push notifications and WNS specifically, including Azure Mobile Services, should be up in the next week or two as well.

Kraig

Author, Programming Windows 8 Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, a free ebook from Microsoft Press

Monday, March 4, 2013 5:15 PM