none
C#.NET 3.5 Windows application need to run in .NET FRAMEWORK not installed machine also. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I developed a windows application in .net framework 3.5 and it is working fine in all the machines if I use setup exe. Because, in the setup I added the prerequest .net framework 3.5. So the setup will check, the local PC has .net framework 3.5 or not. If not, the prerequest will work at first then after the remaining setup will be working. In this way, the created windows application exe working fine.

But my client's requriement is, they are not ready to install setup in each and evey machine and they simply telling that they will copy paste bin folder contents only. Inside of that bin folder we can use any number of exe's or dlls etc what ever we want. But inside of that bin folder we can use only one SHORT CUT and that shortcut name should be "UserClickHere".

The user always click on the "UserClickHere" shortcut only. That shortcut need to open Setup.exe at first time and from next time onwards our windows application need to open. (Note:- At first time, after installation of setup.exe, our windows application exe should be open automatically).

This is my requirement, please can anybody give me example codes.

Thanks in advance.

• Moved by edhickey Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:24 PM (From:.NET 3.0/3.5 Windows Workflow Foundation)
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Senthil,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to the description of your problem, you want to know how a client is able to the windows application developed by you without installing .NET Framework 3.5 which is the prerequisite of your application.

First, if you just copy bin folders and .dll files, it is not possible to run your application properly as .NET Framework 3.5 installed. Since, if you install .NET Framework 3.5, many system files and registry keys will be created and updated. Consequently, if you just copy the bin folders and .dll files, the application still cannot run properly. Thus I recommend you persuade your client of installing .NET Framework 3.5.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:34 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

• So, you have a client who is unwilling to use a standard software installer? What do they do when they need a packaged product, like Microsoft Office?

Every client machine that uses your app will have to have .NET Framework 3.5 installed, which cannot be done by "copy paste bin folder content".

Your post title included the phrase ".NET Framework not installed". That, simply, is NOT going to happen.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi Senthil,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to the description of your problem, you want to know how a client is able to the windows application developed by you without installing .NET Framework 3.5 which is the prerequisite of your application.

First, if you just copy bin folders and .dll files, it is not possible to run your application properly as .NET Framework 3.5 installed. Since, if you install .NET Framework 3.5, many system files and registry keys will be created and updated. Consequently, if you just copy the bin folders and .dll files, the application still cannot run properly. Thus I recommend you persuade your client of installing .NET Framework 3.5.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:34 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 7:39 AM