none
Are you able to mofidy the kernel on a Linux VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When you create a Linux VM in Windows Azure are you given root privileges to the VM's OS. Also would that then allow you to modify the Linux OS's kernel if needed?

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:08 PM

Answers

• When creating a virtual machine, you're asked to provide an administrator (root) account. So yes, you have root privilege if you use that account. I don't know how to modify Linux kernel. But you can always upload your own Linux images. For example, download the source code of a particular Linux build, modify it, build it, and upload the VM image.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by BiggTree Friday, July 20, 2012 1:43 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• When creating a virtual machine, you're asked to provide an administrator (root) account. So yes, you have root privilege if you use that account. I don't know how to modify Linux kernel. But you can always upload your own Linux images. For example, download the source code of a particular Linux build, modify it, build it, and upload the VM image.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by BiggTree Friday, July 20, 2012 1:43 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Yes you can

Digital Forensic Software Developer
    CCS LABS Digital Forensic Software
    Mark as Answer or Vote up if useful thank you!

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:49 AM
  • How to can the change, apart of  download the source code of a particular Linux build, modify it, build it, and upload the VM image ??? 
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:11 PM