none
Dynamic GridView with Entity Framework, from joining tables RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm new to the EF and I want to implement the following functionality. I have the following tables in my model (edmx file).

TableA (A_ID (PK), content (string), parentID(FK) )

TableB (B_ID (PK), content (string), parentID FK) )

TableC( A_ID, B_ID, content(string) ) --A_ID and B_ID form a composite primary key here

Given a parentID, I want to create an ASP.NET gridview that would display the following:

[some text]                        | TableA.content[first row] | TableA.content[second row] | ... | TableA.content[last row]

========================================================================

TableB.content[first row]     | TableC.content[A_ID, B_ID] ....

TableB.content[second row] | ....

TableB.content[last row]      | ....

Basically the TableC.content is joined from the corresponding primary keys of the records from tables A and B.

I want to be able to edit data in the gridview. Currently, I'm considering creating a method for dynamically generating the content of the gridview. However, there will be more hassle when implementing the editing method for the gridview content - for each cell I'll need to store the corresponding A_ID and B_ID, then update it with its new value.

Is there a more elegant solution in EF that would save the extra effort? What approach would you recommend?

Thank you!

Dan

Friday, September 9, 2011 7:35 AM

Answers

All replies