Disable print screen RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to display a PDF page as an image using the Silverlight image control . Since the document needs to be secure from copying, how can i disable  the print screen option ? Is this something to be done out of Silverlight, and is so how ?

Thanks for any responses.

Regards.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:24 AM

Answers

• I plan to display a PDF page as an image using the Silverlight image control . Since the document needs to be secure from copying, how can i disable  the print screen option ? Is this something to be done out of Silverlight, and is so how ?

Regards.

Print Screen is a Operation System's feauture (It can be available or not). SL is crossplatfrom, so doesn't contains OS specific tools. So, I think you can't do this using SL.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Unfortunately no. Just like html can't disable print without some hacks, such as this one:

<style>

@media print

{

body

{

display: none;

}

}

</style>

This style will make the printed content to be empty. But the actual behavior is controlled by browser, and there's no way that you can disable it. But I'm curious why you think by disabling printing, you can protect the image. These days very few users have printers. But won't it be much easier to use a screen shot tool to copy the image? How can you prevent that?

Monday, October 13, 2008 4:40 AM

All replies

Regards.

Print Screen is a Operation System's feauture (It can be available or not). SL is crossplatfrom, so doesn't contains OS specific tools. So, I think you can't do this using SL.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Unfortunately no. Just like html can't disable print without some hacks, such as this one:

<style>

@media print

{

body

{

display: none;

}

}

</style>

This style will make the printed content to be empty. But the actual behavior is controlled by browser, and there's no way that you can disable it. But I'm curious why you think by disabling printing, you can protect the image. These days very few users have printers. But won't it be much easier to use a screen shot tool to copy the image? How can you prevent that?

Monday, October 13, 2008 4:40 AM
  • And user always can have photocamera ;-)
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:49 AM