none
Installing WCF service on client computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I can deploy my service to IIS on a network server, now I want to be able to install my service on a client computer not on our network.  I have some questions.

I assume the client computer will have to have IIS. 

Will it also need Web Deploy? 

Will it need the Management Service role in IIS?

What else will need to be on the client computer in order to install my service.

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to install the wcf services in your client, I think you need the web deploy. And for how to deploy, please try to refer to the following article:

#Deploying a WCF Service:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa751792.aspx .

Here is a similar thread about how to install the wcf service to client:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12164594/install-wcf-service-in-iis-clients .

If you have any other problem, please let me know.

Best Regards.

Amy Peng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Are you referring “Client” as Customer or a server at customer place? In Computer science Client is referred as a consumer of a service. If your question is specific to install a WCF service on a different server/computer,

1. I assume the client computer will have to have IIS

Not necessary. WCF can be hosted and deployed in four ways as below.

1. Self-Hosted
    2. Windows Services
    3. IIS
    4. Windows Process Activation Service (WAS)

If IIS is your primary choice- Yes , you require IIS 5.1 or higher along with .Net Framework as one of your prerequisites.

2.Will it also need Web Deploy? 

No. Web Deploy is an advanced deployment technology when you want to deploy or web service to multiple servers and synchronize. Refer: http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-deploy. Apart from Web Deploy there are many way you can deploy your Web Service as below.

1. XCOPY deployment:  XCOPY deployment simply copies the application file to the production server and set a virtual directory there. You need to set a virtual directory using the Internet Information Manager Microsoft Management Consol (MMC snap-in).
    2. Copying a Website:  The Copy Web Site option is available in Visual Studio. It is available from the Website --> Copy Web Site menu option. This menu items allows copying the current web site to another local or remote location
    3. Creating a set up project:   In this method you use Windows Installer and package your web applications so it is ready to deploy on the production server. Visual Studio allows you to build deployment packages. You can use Web Setup project template for that. Apart from that you can use WIX or installshield like tool to build more complex deployment package.

3. Will it need the Management Service role in IIS?

Optional. Unless you require a remote management of the target server.

4. What else will need to be on the client computer in order to install my service

1. .Net Framework
    2. Your service dependent components.

Lingaraj Mishra

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I involved WCF expert to further look at this issue. I am moving your thread into the Windows Communication Foundation, Serialization, and Networking Forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to install the wcf services in your client, I think you need the web deploy. And for how to deploy, please try to refer to the following article:

#Deploying a WCF Service:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa751792.aspx .

Here is a similar thread about how to install the wcf service to client:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12164594/install-wcf-service-in-iis-clients .

If you have any other problem, please let me know.

Best Regards.

Amy Peng

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:33 AM
  • Are you referring “Client” as Customer or a server at customer place? In Computer science Client is referred as a consumer of a service. If your question is specific to install a WCF service on a different server/computer,

1. I assume the client computer will have to have IIS

Not necessary. WCF can be hosted and deployed in four ways as below.

1. Self-Hosted
    2. Windows Services
    3. IIS
    4. Windows Process Activation Service (WAS)

If IIS is your primary choice- Yes , you require IIS 5.1 or higher along with .Net Framework as one of your prerequisites.

2.Will it also need Web Deploy? 

No. Web Deploy is an advanced deployment technology when you want to deploy or web service to multiple servers and synchronize. Refer: http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-deploy. Apart from Web Deploy there are many way you can deploy your Web Service as below.

1. XCOPY deployment:  XCOPY deployment simply copies the application file to the production server and set a virtual directory there. You need to set a virtual directory using the Internet Information Manager Microsoft Management Consol (MMC snap-in).
    2. Copying a Website:  The Copy Web Site option is available in Visual Studio. It is available from the Website --> Copy Web Site menu option. This menu items allows copying the current web site to another local or remote location
    3. Creating a set up project:   In this method you use Windows Installer and package your web applications so it is ready to deploy on the production server. Visual Studio allows you to build deployment packages. You can use Web Setup project template for that. Apart from that you can use WIX or installshield like tool to build more complex deployment package.

3. Will it need the Management Service role in IIS?

Optional. Unless you require a remote management of the target server.

4. What else will need to be on the client computer in order to install my service

1. .Net Framework
    2. Your service dependent components.

Lingaraj Mishra

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:02 PM