Install Access back end on a server RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing an Access database for deployment on a network.  It will be accessed by different users at the same time.
    Can I install the datatable directly on to the server or do I need to run the table through a development programme?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:32 AM

Answers

• Actually, there is no need to setup the server folder as a trusted location, just the folder on the local machine with the front-end.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:55 AM
  • The front-end (FE) should go through a "development programme" if that's what you want to call converting your FE.accdb to an accde. End users should not be given the accdb - they have no business with your source code.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:56 AM

All replies

• You need to install a copy of Access on the server in a folder that all will have read/write rights to. 

Then each user needs to have Access on their machine.

Create a 'front end' database for each machine that has queries, forms, and reports.   Link to the server folder and have each machine set the server folder as 'Trusted Location.'

Build a little, test a little

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:46 AM
  • Actually, there is no need to setup the server folder as a trusted location, just the folder on the local machine with the front-end.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:55 AM
  • The front-end (FE) should go through a "development programme" if that's what you want to call converting your FE.accdb to an accde. End users should not be given the accdb - they have no business with your source code.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:56 AM