report builder fails after I remove comment row?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I have a perfectly functioning SSRS.

I do not understand why, if, I , for example, delete this comment (should not affect the code).

One of the column disappears from the dataset and, I get the below error:

The Group expression for the grouping ‘Lesson_Completion’ refers to the field ‘Lesson_Completion’.  Report item expressions can only refer to fields within the current dataset scope or, if inside an aggregate, the specified dataset scope. Letters in the names of fields must use the correct case.

Ps: the report works perfectly, but if I open it, and, I even click the ‘refresh fields’, it fails, how come?

Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From the error it looks like its 'Lesson_Completion' field is not present in the current group/scope context. Can you please verify if the field is available in the dataset?

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:36 PM
  • Hi maca128

According to your error message , it seems that the issue is related to the dataset filed reference syntax in expression. You could check in following aspects.

Run the query in SSMS , check if it works fine.

Check the dataset filed , make sure you have field “lesson_Completion” in your dataset.

Check each expression used dataset field , make sure there is no syntax error when you refer the dataset field  in expression.

Make sure your data in data region is correspond with the dataset name you set for data region in properties.

(When a report has more than one dataset, an aggregate expression in a text box on the report body must specify a scope parameter. For example, =First(Fields!FieldName.Value, "DataSet1"). )

See more expression syntax at : Expressions (Report Builder and SSRS)

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Friday, May 25, 2018 5:36 AM