none
Rename a project in VS 2015 and have the ShortCut after publishing with the new name

Question

• Hi All,

I am using VS 2015 and VB.  I attempted to rename a project to another name and have the new name in the SHORT CUT ON MY DESKTOP after I publish.   I have been told by another forum that if I rename the ASSEMBLY NAME in the properties that it would have the new name in the SHORT CUT IN ON THE DESKTOP after I publish.  Not so, the short cut still have the old name.   Can anyone help on this issue.

Edcal

Monday, October 31, 2016 10:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Edcal,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, rename the Assembly name cannot rename the shortcut name on your desktop, please try to follow the steps as below:

1. Please right click the project name and select ‘Properties’
    2. Navigate to the ‘Publish’ tab and click ‘Options’ button and it popups ‘Publish Options’ windows
    3. Type the new name in the Product name filed and click ‘OK’ button to save it.
    4. After that, click ‘Publish Wizard’-Finish, then auto popups the publish folder, double click the ‘setup.exe’ to install it again
    5. Finally, the shortcut name be changed to the new one that you typed as the product name as the following screenshot:

If it not works to your current project, please try to create a new VB project and test it again, in case some other changes that effect this rename feature.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016 2:47 AM
  • Sara,

Thanks very much.  Your last tip did the trick.  I thank you very very much. 

Edcal

Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:23 PM