none
Using VBA to build SQL with a variable in the From statement RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a database for use by a professional society of engineering type people. I am trying to build, using VPA, SQL that will ask the user which flat file they want to upload, then update a table for that particular flat files name, then append another table with the new flat file data and the data import date.

I am very new to VBA and am having difficulty getting even little modules to work.

This is where I am starting at.

'Declare variables for SQL and for the data source.

Dim strSQL As String

Dim strTable as String

sreTable = "Table_1"

strSQL = "Select * from "& strTable

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL

Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:41 AM

All replies

• You don't mention which database you are using.  If it is Access you may want to use that forum:

Access Forum

If you are starting from scratch then the best thing is to get a book on Access.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:51 PM
  • It sounds like a lot, all at once, if you don't really know VBA.  Well, I guess this will be a good learning experience.  I think you need to take this one step at a time.  Here's a way to grab a file using the standard Windows File Open/Save dialog box.

http://access.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm

FYI, if you simply load new data into a table with some data already existing in the table, it will simply append the new records.  I think that's what you want.  If not, delete all existing records before importing new records.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:07 AM