error 0xdef00042 on new dll project

Question

• Hi,

I am using VS2013 update3. I tried to create a new dll targeting WP8.1.On the first build I got few errors:

Error    2    error 0xdef00042: Invalid qualifier: Scale    c:\Users\dmarinov2\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Dll1\Dll1\MakePRI    Dll1
    Error    2    error 0xdef00042: Invalid qualifier: Scale    c:\Users\dmarinov2\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Dll1\Dll1\MakePRI    Dll1

What does this mean?

I did not changed anything in the template, created by VisualStudio.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi DMarinov,

As I can understand from your error message, scale seems to be the keyword, but I did not see what you can scale in your dll, maybe there is something pre-installed in your Visual Studio block this, I'm not 100% sure about this, but you could try to validate:

1, Create a new class library and build again.

2, Repair Visual Studio by "Reset" the visual studio to clean some pre-installed package.

3, Try to find out if there is something related with "Scale" in your class library, or probably you did not set correct image scale in the app manifest -> Visual Assets in your main project, as I know MakePRI is used to package all resource and if there is something wrong with tile/badge/logo images, the build will not pass.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, November 05, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Thank you for the fast reply.

Do I really need a main project in order to build the dll?

Why the packager is invoked if I still do not have an application? I do not have any visual assets yet neither. When I create the new project, I choose a template from Installed->Templates->Visual C++->Store Apps->Windows Phone Apps->DLL(Windows Phone)

Maybe there is something wrong with this template? It is a preinstalled template. I have found an MSDN article that can be related to the problem (msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn482043.aspx), I followed the instructions, but nothing changed. Maybe there is some subtle difference in my version of Visual Studio (it is 2013, update 3). I have also the verbose output from MSBUILD. I could post it here, if this can help.

Dimitar Marinov
    Wednesday, November 05, 2014 8:15 AM
  • No, you don't have to crate a main project to build dll, I mentioned here because I don't know about your situation and this could be a possibility.

I can build a single DLL without any problem, probably there's something wrong with your Visual Studio compiler. Will you like to repair it? Or you may ask at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:15 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I tried to use the template for dll for Windows Phone 8, and I can compile it. I will use Windows 8 target for now. I do not want to reset or reinstall my Visual Studio right now. There is a reason for the error, and I will find it sooner or later. I have to dig what actions are executed by MsBuild for that template and try to understand them. But for now I need something working. The customers are waiting.

Regards

Dimitar

Friday, November 07, 2014 1:47 PM