none
SQL server not working on certain machines RRS feed

• Question

• I need help figuring out why my app only works on some machines. It works fine on my computer and my laptop (Windows 10 pro x64), but not on the machines of other people who used Windows 10 in S-mode. Neither does it work in a virtual machine using Windows 10 home x86. It just freezes and crashes.

This is what I know so far
    The app is built in C# and uses a .mdf database. The database is created using Visual Studio's built-in Gui. Furthermore the app reads/writes the database with the help of classes in System.Data.SqlClient (Just in case that is relevant somehow)

I also know that the problem has to do with the database and SQL server. If I try running the app in the x86 virtual machine it complains that there is no SQL-Server. If I install Visual studio on the virtual machine then my app only complains about the version of SQL server. I've tried installing SQL Server 2017 Express Edition on the virtual machine, but it won't let me. Because apparently it can't be installed on a x86 machines. Furthermore I know that it works if I instead use SQLite.

Help
    I don't understand. Shouldn't the built in way be one of the most reliable when it comes to compatibility on other machines? A friend of mine says that I should use SQLite but is that really the solution? Or could I be including an installer for the needed version of SQL Server? Or is there another way to make it work on other version except for the exact version I'm using?
    Monday, April 22, 2019 7:31 PM

All replies