Need pointers on how to write my own KeepAlive RRS feed

• Question

• User-296654088 posted
    Hi, I want to write my own keep alive module for my ASP.NET apps so that the first user after the app fell asleep won't have to wait forever. I don't know where to begin. I'm aware of similar solutions out there but I want to write my own -- because I need one also I want to learn what's involved in creating my own keep alive. I'd like my KeepAlive to be a web app of its own. I want to register the URL of my other asp.net apps in its database and I want it to keep them alive by sending periodic requests to those apps. I'd appreciate some pointers on how to write this app.
    Friday, November 26, 2004 10:55 PM

All replies

• User-2113013486 posted
    Have you had a look a Paul Wilsons method? http://authors.aspalliance.com/paulwilson/Articles/?id=12
    Saturday, December 4, 2004 7:24 PM
  • User-296654088 posted
    ehorn, Thanks for your response. I just looked at that article and got some ideas from it. What I want to do is actually a little different. Paul Wilson's DLL keeps the web site its associated with alive. What I want to do is one app that keeps multiple sites alive. I'd like to keep a list of apps in a database and the KeepAlive app sends a request to all those sites I defined periodically.
    Sunday, December 5, 2004 12:19 AM
  • User-158764254 posted
    the default application pool settings dictate that an application that has been idle for 20 minutes will shut down. 20 minutes is also the default session timeout. therefore, if you do not adjust the app pool, the application will end as the last session ends. why not just increase the defaul app pools setting for the application idle time? or create another app pool with a higher value and set you app to use the new pool?
    Sunday, December 12, 2004 5:31 PM