How to filter out all indexes and triggers in a pure table row migration to an identical schema? RRS feed

• Question

• Running SSMA for Oracle 4.2:  I have an Oracle schema and a matching carefully built SQL Server schema. 

I just want to move all table rows (no indexes or triggers) from Oracle to SQL server. 

When I select tables to migrate, it automatically selects all indexes and triggers for those tables. 

Is there an easy way to migrate only the table rows, and not the indexes/triggers? 

Thanks,  Ken

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:39 PM

Answers

• Apparently, when all you do is data migration, it doesn't move the indexes and triggers. 

However, in order to get SSMA to allow migration to a target schema that it didn't create, I had to rename the target datbase (in SQL Server Management Studio) to match the source Oracle schema name.  Otherwise, I would keep getting sourceSchema.dbo.tableName does not exist in the SQL Server db errors. 

• Marked as answer by Ken L. Cooley Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• Apparently, when all you do is data migration, it doesn't move the indexes and triggers. 

However, in order to get SSMA to allow migration to a target schema that it didn't create, I had to rename the target datbase (in SQL Server Management Studio) to match the source Oracle schema name.  Otherwise, I would keep getting sourceSchema.dbo.tableName does not exist in the SQL Server db errors. 

• Marked as answer by Ken L. Cooley Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Ken,

SSMA creates indexws and triggers on SQL Server. After you create a project in SSMA:

1. Connect to Oracle

2. Connect to SQL Server

3. Specify Oracle DB to SQL Server DB mappings

4. "Convert" Oracle schema

5. "Synchronize" to apply the converted schema to SQL Server - when this happens the indexes and triggeres will get created along with other objects.

6. Migrate data - currently it is not possible to disable triggers and indexes creation from SSMA. Ouside of SSMA, you can drop the triggers and indexes from all the tables after step #5 above manually, migrate the data using SSMA and recreate the triggers and indexes manually.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:42 PM