none
Designer workflow not sending email to People/group column

Question

• Hi All,

I have a SPD workflow which sends email to the person whos name is specified in Manager column(People type column).

I also have a console which updates the same Manager column.

This was working fine and there was no issues till sometime back.I dont know what went wrong but it isn't sending email to the value in Manager column now.

The workflow keeps getting cancelled with error : /_vti_bin/client.svc/sp.utilities.utility.send email error 

Could it be that the column got corrupted ? because if I create new workflow for another list it just works fine.

It has got nothing to do with SMTP server as emails are sent for other workflows.

Thanks in Advance, Jiniv Thakkar

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I resolved the issue, I don't know why it wasn't sending email to PeoplePicker when it was set to return email address in SharePoint Desinger workflow 

So I changed the settings to return PeoplePicker value to Login Name in SharePoint Designer workflow.

• Marked as answer by Jiniv Thakkar Monday, January 16, 2017 7:16 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Jiniv- check exactly what address the workflow is trying to send an email to. Make sure it's formatted as a correct/verified email address. Also check your email server for any bounced/blocked email. Have the workflow send an email to you and see if that goes through. If so, then it's definitely an address format issue.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:52 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

I did log the value is it returning before send email action and I am getting the email value correctly.

I also did assign my name in To of workflow, even that works fine 

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:56 PM
  • Interesting- you sure there's no spaces or special characters? When you log it, is it showing as an email address, or a link? You need to see the physical address. Has the manager's email changed? Do you see any bounced email from that address?

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:00 PM
  • Yes, no space's or special characters.

When I log it is showing me an email address and not a link - jthakkar@domain.com

Like I said other workflows are working fine for the same Id.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:19 PM
  • But I do notice a strange behavior, I added my Id in CC & Manager value in To - in this case I do receive an email as my Id is in CC, and in this email the To field is blank, quite strange ?

How can it display blank when it logs the email id in log ?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:23 PM
  • Hi Jiniv,

Do you have any Impersonation step in the SPD workflow?

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:24 PM
  • HI,

Can you please try this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a4c70cdd-ccc3-4b26-a9f1-280e879509e4/workflow-wont-send-email-people-picker-field?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:26 PM
  • I have an App step ?? 

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:27 PM
  • That does not apply to my case, not useful Sorry 

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:28 PM
  • HI,

Can you please try this below

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a4c70cdd-ccc3-4b26-a9f1-280e879509e4/workflow-wont-send-email-people-picker-field?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:30 PM
  • OK, that's strange, but at least you accomplished what I hoped. Try this: copy that field to a text field and see what it outputs. If it outputs correctly, use the text field for the email. Sorry, I honestly don't know why it would do that, but that would be my workaround.

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:32 PM
  • ok will try this and update, thanks ! 

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Hi All,

I resolved the issue, I don't know why it wasn't sending email to PeoplePicker when it was set to return email address in SharePoint Desinger workflow 

So I changed the settings to return PeoplePicker value to Login Name in SharePoint Designer workflow.

• Marked as answer by Jiniv Thakkar Monday, January 16, 2017 7:16 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 7:16 AM