How to reduce build time of C# .net CF Windows Form based project RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

When I build my C# .net CF Windows Form based project, Its always taking 5-10 mins of time to build, even if only one statement is modified. I'm using VS2008 for developing my application

can please anybody know how to reduce the time needed to build the solution in CF.

Regards,

Harish

Thanks, Harish
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:17 AM

Answers

• Hello Harish,

I don't know about your development machine configuration, it should be recommended system requirements for vs 2008 see here

Follow the below mention steps for speed up build and compile time in VS 2008.

Step-1: Just close your visual studio.

Step-2: open Microsoft.CompactFramework.Common.targets path (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\) file in text editor.

Step-3: add this -> Condition="'$(SkipPlatformVerification)' != 'true'" in Target root.

<Target
            Name="PlatformVerificationTask" Condition="'$(SkipPlatformVerification)' != 'true'">
            <PlatformVerificationTask
                PlatformFamilyName="$(PlatformFamilyName)"
                PlatformID="$(PlatformID)"
                SourceAssembly="@(IntermediateAssembly)"
                ReferencePath="@(ReferencePath)"
                TreatWarningsAsErrors="$(TreatWarningsAsErrors)"
                PlatformVersion="$(TargetFrameworkVersion)"/>
        </Target>
    for more about the seme you can see already discussed thread here

Hope it helps

- Pavan [MCTS - Windows Mobile 5.0] If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer and vote it.
    • Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, August 1, 2011 3:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, August 5, 2011 7:23 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:52 AM
  •  

I recently ran into this very problem, with the only difference that I'm using vb.  I made some changes that I believe are somewhat different from those listed above.  The steps below are what I did to completely solve my problem:

1)    Open the file c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.CompactFramework.Common.Targets

2)    Go to the line which reads:

Name="PlatformVerificationTask">

and change it to:

Name="PlatformVerificationTask" Condition="'$(SkipPlatformVerification)' == 'true'">

• Marked as answer by Harish KC Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:58 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Harish,

I don't know about your development machine configuration, it should be recommended system requirements for vs 2008 see here

Follow the below mention steps for speed up build and compile time in VS 2008.

Step-1: Just close your visual studio.

Step-2: open Microsoft.CompactFramework.Common.targets path (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\) file in text editor.

Step-3: add this -> Condition="'$(SkipPlatformVerification)' != 'true'" in Target root.

<Target
            Name="PlatformVerificationTask" Condition="'$(SkipPlatformVerification)' != 'true'">
            <PlatformVerificationTask
                PlatformFamilyName="$(PlatformFamilyName)"
                PlatformID="$(PlatformID)"
                SourceAssembly="@(IntermediateAssembly)"
                ReferencePath="@(ReferencePath)"
                TreatWarningsAsErrors="$(TreatWarningsAsErrors)"
                PlatformVersion="$(TargetFrameworkVersion)"/>
        </Target>
    for more about the seme you can see already discussed thread here

Hope it helps

- Pavan [MCTS - Windows Mobile 5.0] If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer and vote it.
    • Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, August 1, 2011 3:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, August 5, 2011 7:23 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:52 AM
  • Hi Pavan,

Thanks for the reply.

Actuallu I'm facing this problem while building SmartDevice type applications only (targeted for WinCE). Normal C# .net Windows application build in normal time.

Regards,

Harish 

Thanks, Harish
    Friday, July 29, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Have you follow the mentioned steps of my previous thread ?

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Hi Pavan,

I modified the Microsoft.CompactFramework.Common.targets file as per ur previous suggestion. but still VS2008 is taking long time to build and deploy the application.

Here are the development environment for my project:

Project type: Smart device type (WinForm)

Target machine : WinCE

Development envirnment : VS 2008

Language : C#

Framework : ,net CF 2.0

Even though If I modify a single line and click on deploy/build, it will take 10-15 mins to build /deploy the application on the target machine !!!!!

Regards,

Harish

Thanks, Harish
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:29 AM
  •  

I recently ran into this very problem, with the only difference that I'm using vb.  I made some changes that I believe are somewhat different from those listed above.  The steps below are what I did to completely solve my problem:

1)    Open the file c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.CompactFramework.Common.Targets

2)    Go to the line which reads:

Name="PlatformVerificationTask">

and change it to:

Name="PlatformVerificationTask" Condition="'$(SkipPlatformVerification)' == 'true'">

• Marked as answer by Harish KC Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:58 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:53 PM
  • I am using Visual Studio 2008 and WinCE target device. When i Deploy my project , at the time of build it take long time around 12-15 mins. even if i make a single line change in a code.

I tried to make changes as suggested by @WmDev. And my project file became unable to load and showing "Target Unrecognized".

What Can I do ? How can I reduce the build time ?

Saturday, February 13, 2016 7:28 AM