USB Smart Card Reader timeout on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on middleware for a USB smart card/token device and am using the usbccid.sys driver.  On Vista when I issue a particular command to the device that takes approximately 5-6 seconds to complete, I receive a 0x6b7 error.  The same command issued on XP, completes successfully.  I suspect it's some sort of timeout condition because if the token is reset, the same command is issued and it passes but the second time the command execuetst it takes < 1 second.  This is as expected and is due to operations taking place on the token. 

Any thoughts on what could be causing the 6b7 error for a long command?

Thanks,

Liz

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hey, Can you try with KB mentioned as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951373 and see if it resolves your issue.
    Thanks, Ashutosh
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:46 AM
  • In Vista we introduced time-out (I believe 5 seconds) to avoid any hangs in the smart card driver because of Hardware issue. In XP, this was not there.

So I guess that's the reason why in XP it is succeeding even if card is taking too long to respond, but same gets error in vista.

If you have got usb analyser, you can verify your understanding through the traces. Else I would suggest to get in touch with Hardware manufacturer to report the issue.

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:43 AM

All replies

• Sorry the error code is 0x6f7, not 0x6b7.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:05 PM
  • In Vista we introduced time-out (I believe 5 seconds) to avoid any hangs in the smart card driver because of Hardware issue. In XP, this was not there.

So I guess that's the reason why in XP it is succeeding even if card is taking too long to respond, but same gets error in vista.

If you have got usb analyser, you can verify your understanding through the traces. Else I would suggest to get in touch with Hardware manufacturer to report the issue.

Thanks, Ashutosh
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Hey, Can you try with KB mentioned as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951373 and see if it resolves your issue.
    Thanks, Ashutosh
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Thank you, Ashutosh!  I installed the hotfix and the command now completes successfully.  Is there any more information about what was changed in the hotfix?
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 7:22 PM
  • That is great news. It has increased the time-out value to around 60 seconds as per some recommendations and analysis within MS and Hardware manufacturers.
    Thanks, Ashutosh
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:12 AM
  • can you tell me how to fix it with my smart card reader ?
    Monday, February 20, 2017 8:16 PM
  • can you help  me also to fix it 
    Monday, February 20, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Is there any way to modify that timeout through the Windows Registry or any other way?.
    Sunday, February 24, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Link is broken, can you update it?.
    Sunday, February 24, 2019 6:15 PM
  • This is not an exact solution to your problem but I'm mentioning this here as this could be of any help to other users with a similar problem. 

I did connect an ACS smart card reader and began experiencing this problem for smart card operations taking more than 50 seconds, so I discovered that the problem appears only when the smart card reader uses the default "Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)" driver, if I go the the device properties (through the Windows Device Manager) and then I press "Update Driver", the most updated ACS proprietary driver is loaded for the device and the problem doesn't happen anymore.

Environment: Windows 10 Pro

Sunday, February 24, 2019 6:19 PM
  • I have the same problem with CCCID driver on Windows 7.

The system accidentally disconnect CCID device from host 

Friday, December 13, 2019 1:05 PM