Assistance with understanding Video Playback RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I hope that someone can assist me with my understanding of the options available for deploying PlayReady protected content and by what means it might be played back by an end user.

Here goes:

A client would like to distribute content via "Super Distribution"(CD/DVD, etc...), download, and possibly streaming at a later date.

Supposed that the content is encrypted using PlayReady technology, and encoded to H264 or other supported video format.

On the client side when the end user wishes to play this content by what software can this be achieved on the various platforms? e.g. if the client has Silverlight installed will the video playback in a browser, without any end user configuration?

The ultimate goal is to minimise the changes to the client to enable playback of PlayReady protected content that a user has on the local client or portable device(through download or Super Distribution).

Q1. Is a PlayReady protected H264 video able to be played back in WMP?

Q2. What happens with MAC OSX, or other portable platforms?

Q3. Must you develop your own Silverlight application for playback?

Q4. Is silverlight for windows included as an optional automatic upgrade to windows OS?

Any assistance with this quiery is much appreciated, i understand the principles of the Encyption and licence management i just dont get the physical playback mechanism.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi twlithgow,

Q1. Is a PlayReady protected H264 video able to be played back in WMP?

Yes.

Q2. What happens with MAC OSX, or other portable platforms?

It is supported on Macintosh.

Q3. Must you develop your own Silverlight application for playback?

Yes, and you can make use of some silverlight media player control, such as MediaElement or MediaFramework

Q4. Is silverlight for windows included as an optional automatic upgrade to windows OS?

Silverlight 3 is included in windows 7 os and is updated with windows update.

For further reference, please refer to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc838192(v=vs.95).aspx#playready_vs_wmdrm

PlayReady Whitepaper http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=125124

Best Regards,

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:21 AM

All replies