mirroring with SQL Alerts or Sharepoint Failover?¿ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I´ve installed a Sharepoint Server 2010 (RTM) Farm and configured database mirroring in SQL server 2008(both in Windows Server 2008 R2) by alerts that give control to the mirrored instance changing the alias in all Sharepoint Servers. It works fine, but I´ve just noticed that Sharepoint has an utility that makes Failover automatically if I configure it by scripts in Powershell.

My question is, ¿which way is better? ¿can I use both? ¿Does Sharepoint Failover work properly when a database fails and how it do it?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Carmen,

Yes, SharePoint fails over properly when a database fails, as long as you have configured a witness server. See these topics for details:

The Plan for availability article explains:
    Setting a failover database location adds a parameter to the connection string that SharePoint Server uses to connect to SQL Server. In the event of a SQL Server time-out event, the following occurs:
    1. The witness server that is configured for SQL Server mirroring automatically swaps the roles of the primary and mirror databases.
    2. SharePoint Server automatically attempts to contact the server that is specified as the failover database.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:27 PM

All replies

• We have here the same question, please tell us your opinion if you get a reasonable decision

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Hi Carmen,

Yes, SharePoint fails over properly when a database fails, as long as you have configured a witness server. See these topics for details:

The Plan for availability article explains:
    Setting a failover database location adds a parameter to the connection string that SharePoint Server uses to connect to SQL Server. In the event of a SQL Server time-out event, the following occurs:
    1. The witness server that is configured for SQL Server mirroring automatically swaps the roles of the primary and mirror databases.
    2. SharePoint Server automatically attempts to contact the server that is specified as the failover database.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Margo

Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:47 AM
  • How does sharepoint handles failover data connections;

1) When the Principal Server Connection Fails, Sharepoint uses the Failover Partner Name specified in the connection string after how much time?

2) Once SharePoint starts using Failover Server, If sharepoint have to open another databae connection does it checks the Principal Server Again before using the failover server. Will it check Principal server every time before going to failover server? Are the roles switched in sharepoint, where is the data connection proerties stored?

Please advise.

Thanks 

Amit
    Monday, September 6, 2010 5:21 AM