none
Build a Kinect app for Xbox One RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to create an Xbox One app that will utilize the power of Kinect. I already created a prototype using Unity3d, but I can only build it for Windows OS.

I've read here (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3e064dc4-82d9-442b-bb5a-4c3575be4b4a/need-to-create-kinect-app-to-run-on-xbox-one?forum=kinectv2sdk) that I should contact ID@Xbox program asking for XDK, but they said that they are focused solely on games development.

So my question is, how do I obtain XDK or anything else I might need in order to build apps (not games), for Xbox One, preferably using Unity3d? Does anybody has any experience in this field?

I also do not want to wait until 2016 to be able to publish this app as a Universal Windows 10 App as I believe that I can ship it much sooner then that. In addition, Unity3d is still not supporting Universal Windows 10 App development, so I don't want to wait for that to happen, I just wan't to start the Xbox One development which is currently fully supported and start testing on my Xbox.

Smukov

• Edited by Miroslav Smukov Monday, June 29, 2015 9:11 AM added link to related forum question
    Monday, June 29, 2015 9:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Smukov,

I suggest taking a look at the ID@Xbox program (http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id). This is the Independent Developer Program for Xbox One.

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi David,

First of all thank you for your answer.

Now, regarding your suggestion to contact ID@Xbox program - I've done that actually but they responded that they are focused solely on games development, and I'm not trying to develop a game here.

So, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with publishing *APPS* (not games) to Xbox One without being part of the ID@Xbox program, and how are they building and testing their apps during development? If I don't have an XDK I'd have to side load my app to standard consumer Xbox One console, and I'm not sure if that is possible.

Thank you!

Smukov

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:53 AM
  • My understanding is that Microsoft prohibits non-gaming apps for Xbox One, except in very narrow cases (e.g., advertisements/videos from major corporate partners).

I know from my own experience that, historically, Microsoft firmly prohibited non-gaming apps for Xbox 360. I don't know for sure whether Microsoft relaxed this prohibition for Xbox One, but I believe that it's the same as it was for Xbox 360.

I'm not aware that Microsoft ever said why this prohibition exists. Some hypotheses that people have offered are: 1) to prevent $5 apps from competing with $50 games, 2) to prevent the possibility of Kinect malware deploying to consumer Xboxes.

To sum up, so far as I know (though I could be wrong), you cannot publish a non-gaming app on Xbox One.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Smukov,

I just noticed that you already referenced ID@Xbox .  The answer from Angela that you linked to is the correct one.  At this time, without an XDK or an ID@Xbox account, there is not a way to deploy your own application to the Xbox One.

Thank,

David

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 10:16 PM
  • It looks that Microsoft is loosing a market to sell XBOX ONE hardware...
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 9:08 PM
  • Microsoft is trying to protect its reputation by taking preventative measures to ensure all games released for XBox One are of a certain quality standard.  They are just afraid that a poor quality game will make people think XBox One sucks, that's all.

The process to build a game for XBox One is strenuous, but not insurmountable.  One just has to tell ID@XBox that they have a game for the XBox One, and present the game (on Windows) to them.  If ID@XBox approves, they'll send you a XDK so you can build for XBox One.

The thing that bothers me is that XBox One supports UWP, yet there seems to be two build modules in Unity3D: one for Windows store apps (which are just UWP apps), and one for XBox One (which for those that have the XBox One build module for Unity3D will realize it just builds an UWP app).  Why this?  It just looks ridiculous.  What's even worse is that I am able to use Unity3D personal/free edition to build games for Windows store, but not XBox One.  Why would I even require a separate build module for XBox One when all Unity3D does during build is convert the game to an UWP app anyway?

Derrick Lau

Sunday, November 13, 2016 4:29 AM