Issues of Visual Studio 6.0 Application in Windows 7 OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a VB6.0 application, which is functioning in windows XP operating system,

And I’m going to use the application in Windows 7 operating system.

In this application I am using the following OCX controls,

• Keysta32.ocx
    • Grid32.ocx
    • Threed32.ocx
    • Mschart.ocx

The "Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7" of Microsoft says that these runtime files will not be supported in the Windows 7 OS

Refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

Unsupported, But Supported and Compatible Updates or Upgrades are Available

dao350.dll
    mdac_typ.exe
    mschart.ocx
    msdaerr.dll
    msdatl2.dll

msexch35.dll
    msexcl35.dll
    msjet35.dll
    msjint35.dll
    msjt4jlt.dll

msjter35.dll
    msjtor35.dll
    msltus35.dll
    mspdox35.dll
    msrd2x35.dll

msrepl35.dll
    mstext35.dll
    msxbse35.dll
    odbctl32.dll
    oledb32x.dll

Unsupported Runtime Files

anibtn32.ocx
    graph32.ocx
    keysta32.ocx
    autmgr32.exe
    autprx32.dll
    racmgr32.exe
    racreg32.dll
    grid32.ocx
    msoutl32.ocx

spin32.ocx
    gauge32.ocx
    gswdll32.dll
    ciscnfg.exe
    olecnv32.dll
    rpcltc1.dll
    rpcltc5.dll
    rpcltccm.dll
    rpclts5.dll

rpcltscm.dll
    rpcmqcl.dll
    rpcmqsvr.dll
    rpcss.exe
    dbmsshrn.dll
    dbmssocn.dll
    windbver.exe
    msderun.dll
    odkob32.dll

rdocurs.dll
    vbar332.dll
    visdata.exe
    vsdbflex.srg
    threed32.ocx
    MSWLess.ocx
    tlbinf32.dll
    triedit.dll

But I can able to register these OCX files in Windows 7 OS, can able access the properties, methods and events of these controls, and working fine in a sample VB6.0 application.

I need to know,

What are the risks involved in using these Unsupported OCX controls in my application when moved to Windows 7 OS?

If there are any issues then is there any solution / replacement for these OCX controls.

Let me know the detail of the compatibility issues of these OCX controls in windows 7 OS.

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm using a complex VB 6.0 application in Windows XP. It has almost all the VB components, reference DLLs.
    My questions are,
    1. Whether my application will continue to work the same in Windows 7?
    2. What are the Changes i need to do on upgrading my application to work on Windows 7 OS?

Please let me know the issues in this case in detail level.

Thanks,
    Chandrasekar

• Merged by Martin Xie - MSFT Monday, September 21, 2009 2:45 AM Merge it to keep them in the same topic.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

This forum is for Vb.Net questions only, sorry.

Please see this thread where the blue text portions are further links.>>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/6a0719fe-14af-47f7-9f51-a8ea2b9c8d6b

###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~###~~~

Please this forum for VB questions.>>

http://www.programmersheaven.com/mb/VBasic/Board.aspx

Regards,

John

I'm currently looking for work in Vb.Net software development. :-)
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I don't think you find much information about this in other forums, if you have a free computer, then simply try it.
    (The computer needs at least to have 1Gb mem)

Or wait some months

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx
    Success
    Cor
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:25 PM
  • I don't think you find much information about this in other forums, if you have a free computer, then simply try it.
    (The computer needs at least to have 1Gb mem)

Or wait some months

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx
    Success
    Cor

Hi Cor,

Thanks for the link.

I'm going to try the trial in Microsoft Virtual P.C. >>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

:-)

Regards,

John

I'm currently looking for work in Vb.Net software development. :-)
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:47 PM
  • The only way to know whether there are compatibility issues with these components is to test your application on Windows 7. Since Microsoft does not support these components you're on your own.

This forum is primarily for dealing with upgrade/interop issues between Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic .NET. You may want to consider migrating your application to Visual Basic .NET (or Visual Basic Express) since Visual Basic 6.0 is no longer supported by Microsoft.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I can confirm that applications created in VB (and compiled to an EXE) will install and run on Windows 7.
    Let me clarify further:
    I have many apps written in VB6 (SP6) and the majority of these use Threed32.ocx. I use Visual Studio Installer to create the msi.
    These can be installed on Windows 7 and function correctly.
    I have also managed to do the same with VB6 and other 3rd party controls.
    There does not seem to be an issue installing programs written in VB6. However, the proverbial nasty stuff hits the fan if you want to use the VB6 IDE in Windows 7 as well as the unsupported DLL's.
    VB6 will install and can be updated to the latest service pack (SP6) on Windows 7 but I cannot register threed32.ocx without getting the 0x80040201 DLLRegsiterServer Failed message. Consequently I cannot open the majority of VB projects in Windows 7 as not all the required OCX's have registered successfully.
    Basically if you want to develop in VB6, don't go above XP. Vista is/was rubbish anyway so you're not missing anything there, but Windows 7 is orders of magnitude better, just a pitty Microsoft don't understand that there are sill commercial software/development companies that still use VB6 and don't want to migrate to .NET
    I have been developing in various version of VB for some 10-12 years now, and really don't want to port everything to .NET, so it looks like Windows 7 will have to stay off my christmas list!

Monday, September 28, 2009 7:14 PM
  • i successfully installed it on windows 7...very simple...in vb setup.exe file right click on it and go in properties then click on compatibilty tab after that chcek "run this program in compatibility mode for:" then select window xp from the list and click ok and woolaaaa u r good to go and congrats for the successful installation ..wink wink hope it was successfull to if any problems u can ask me on email..shoaibch40@gmail.com
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Don't know if this helps, but I made some of my old Windows programs run using a little software tool called 'The Longbow Reviver'. It allows you to pick an old program files folder then it makes everything run. They mention that it works for Visual Studio 6, which I tried, and it seems to work... Here's the link that I used to get it http://shop.longbowsoftware.com/The-Longbow-Reviver_c6.htm
    Tommy
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:41 PM
  • >WIN7
    For graph32.ocx , there are 5 dependency files
    - gsw32.exe
    - gswdll32.dll
    - olepro32.dll
    - mfc40.dll
    - msvcrt40.dll
    for gsw32.exe and gswdll32.dll, you can copy both of it and place in %windir%\system32
    but for olepro32.dll , mfc40.dll , msvcrt40.dll , there already exit in %windir%\system32 with newer verion and were fixed permision for "trusted installer" , you must resolve for its permission before /* and backup all of it too or take restoreing point by WIN7 */. Then copy old version that come from <CD>\COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS to place at here.

by these. > regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\graph32.ocx will no problem for system registration.

Since of MSChart be an official replacement of graph32,It should be a better way .... 

Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:38 PM
  • >WIN7
    For graph32.ocx , there are 5 dependency files
    - gsw32.exe
    - gswdll32.dll
    - olepro32.dll
    - mfc40.dll
    - msvcrt40.dll
    for gsw32.exe and gswdll32.dll, you can copy both of it and place in %windir%\system32
    but for olepro32.dll , mfc40.dll , msvcrt40.dll , there already exit in %windir%\system32 with newer verion and were fixed permision for "trusted installer" , you must resolve for its permission before /* and backup all of it too or take restoreing point by WIN7 */. Then copy old version that come from <CD>\COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS to place at here.

by these. > regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\graph32.ocx will no problem for system registration.

Since of MSChart be an official replacement of graph32,It should be a better way ....

Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:45 PM