Deploying Visual Studio 2008 Isolated shell in French RRS feed

• Question

• Related to previous question "Deploying Visual Studio 2008 Isolated shell in multiple langauges" at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsx/thread/51867f2f-5df9-481f-a25f-40ab1a93e09a?prof=required

I was able to run my Visual Studio 2008 isolated Shell in French. However, some strings in the menu are still in English.  For example, all the top menus are: File, Edit, View, Tools, Windows, Help. And even some sub-menu items, like Edit->Find And Replace. However, all other sub-menus in Edit are in French: Annuler, Retablir, etc.

How do I fix this bug?

I did the following on WinXP SP3 & Windows 7

1.Install Visual Studio Isolated Shell 2008 SP1
    2.Install Visual Studio Integrated Shell 2008 Service Pack 1 (vs_ideredist.exe) in French.
    3.Start my isolated shell using VsStub.exe /LCID 1036
    I even tried installing VS2008 isolated shell in French.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:07 PM

Answers

• As far as I'm aware, there is no available fix for this issue. Though I can confirm that the problem does not occur with VS 2010 isolated shell.

I ran into this same problem myself, but my customer didn't push for a hotfix because they were moving to the VS 2010 shell. The only recommendation I can make here is to suggest moving to the VS 2010 isolated shell, or contacting Microsoft Developer Support and file a hotfix request. Hotfix requests have to meet a pretty high bar (data loss, large number of customers impacted, blocking development, etc). You've got a few options when it comes to opening an official support incident (note we refund/don't count the ones related to product bugs).

VSIP membership includes a complimentary MSDN subscription, which includes 4 professional support incidents. These can be used to initiate/open a support incident with Microsoft's Customer Support Services. Some versions of Visual Studio include a number of free support incidents as well. See the "Technical Support Incidents" topic for details.

Microsoft Customer Support Services, has a small team of support staff (including myself) dedicated to assisting customers with problems related to Visual Studio package development, Visual Studio Addin development, or just plain automating the IDE via the exposed COM interfaces. Internally, we're known as the "Visual Studio Extensibility Support Team". This team is primarily responsible for supporting the VS SDK, and fielding questions/problems related to extending or integrating with the VS .Net IDE.

The VS SDK documentation has a topic entitled "Support and Other Resources" that can provide additional details on how to contact and open support incidents with the VS Extensibility Support Team.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Friday, December 3, 2010 7:24 PM

All replies

• Hi ISa_MSDN,

Thanks for your post.

Does your three steps above including to install

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell (mode isolé) Redistributable Package?

you can download it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=fr&FamilyID=aca38719-f449-4937-9bac-45a9f8a73822

If it doesn't help, be free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I tried it as the 4th steps. But it did not change a thing.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Hello ISa_MSDN,

Thank you for your question.

I am currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:26 AM
  • As far as I'm aware, there is no available fix for this issue. Though I can confirm that the problem does not occur with VS 2010 isolated shell.

I ran into this same problem myself, but my customer didn't push for a hotfix because they were moving to the VS 2010 shell. The only recommendation I can make here is to suggest moving to the VS 2010 isolated shell, or contacting Microsoft Developer Support and file a hotfix request. Hotfix requests have to meet a pretty high bar (data loss, large number of customers impacted, blocking development, etc). You've got a few options when it comes to opening an official support incident (note we refund/don't count the ones related to product bugs).

VSIP membership includes a complimentary MSDN subscription, which includes 4 professional support incidents. These can be used to initiate/open a support incident with Microsoft's Customer Support Services. Some versions of Visual Studio include a number of free support incidents as well. See the "Technical Support Incidents" topic for details.

Microsoft Customer Support Services, has a small team of support staff (including myself) dedicated to assisting customers with problems related to Visual Studio package development, Visual Studio Addin development, or just plain automating the IDE via the exposed COM interfaces. Internally, we're known as the "Visual Studio Extensibility Support Team". This team is primarily responsible for supporting the VS SDK, and fielding questions/problems related to extending or integrating with the VS .Net IDE.

The VS SDK documentation has a topic entitled "Support and Other Resources" that can provide additional details on how to contact and open support incidents with the VS Extensibility Support Team.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Friday, December 3, 2010 7:24 PM