Saving CSS/BrowserSpecific/myGridView.CSS file crashes VS 2005. Also Ports don't close. RRS feed

• Question

• User881333916 posted

I am using ASP.NET 2.0 CSS Friendly Control Adapters.  A file I created named myGridView.CSS is in the project under the CSS/BrowserSpecific folder.  I added the line @import "myGridView.css"; in the Import.css file to reference it.  A problem occurs when I make a change to the file and save it.  Most of the time a message pops up that says VS has encountered an error and needs to shut down.  I am using a master page.  In addition, I noticed that the port that it opens never stops.  And new ports keep accumulating.  I can manually right-click on them and tell them to stop.  However this doesn't prevent VS from eventually crashing.  I have the latest updates on VS 2005 and also on .NET Framework versions 2 and 3.  The project also uses Microsoft's AJAX extensions.  I have been using the Wrox book "Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design" as a learning guide.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how to solve it?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:12 AM

All replies

• User881333916 posted

This appears to occur when the the Master Page has a reference to a CSS file.  Visual Studio crashes when 2 things are present:

1. The Master page is open in Visual Studio. 
    2. You save the CSS file.

Visual Studio does not crash when the Master Page file has been closed!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:36 PM
  • User-1276969458 posted

Thanks so much for posting this workaround.  I've been dealing with this for a long time and until now I haven't been able to find a pattern why it crashes sometimes when saving a css file and other times not.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:23 PM