Publishing news: Communication Vs Publishing sites RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Office 365. Communication sites are mobile friendly and it is easy to publish news using Communication sites.

We have a requirement where author publishes content and sends it to the editor within the organization. Editor reviews it and may ask the author to make changes. This will be an iterative process. So a lot of customization and notifications shall take place before we push the news article for publication. We also want to monitor the status of the new article.

What would be a better choice: Communication Site or Publishing site or some other site.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mayank Shyam

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 8:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Mayank Shyam,

I would prefer you use publishing sites.

Because you have mentioned that a lot of customization and notifications shall take place before pushing the news article for publication. However, Communication site(modern site) is difficult to customized currently. You will have a lot of trouble when you deploy customization in modern sites.

Below picture shows a list of currently unsupported customization on "modern" team sites:

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/solution-guidance/modern-experience-customizations-customize-sites

As a result, I suggest you use the publishing site rather than Communication site. Then you can safely deploy your customization.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:47 AM

All replies

• For your use case I would recommend using the Office365 Flow template to drive the publishing workflow on the document library where the author would publish the content, this would kick off a lot of the notifications, and publish the content to the end user once it has gone through the approval process

Also, the communication sites makes more sense - https://en.share-gate.com/blog/sharepoint-online-communication-sites-explained

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:34 PM
  • Hi Mayank Shyam,

I would prefer you use publishing sites.

Because you have mentioned that a lot of customization and notifications shall take place before pushing the news article for publication. However, Communication site(modern site) is difficult to customized currently. You will have a lot of trouble when you deploy customization in modern sites.

Below picture shows a list of currently unsupported customization on "modern" team sites:

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/solution-guidance/modern-experience-customizations-customize-sites

As a result, I suggest you use the publishing site rather than Communication site. Then you can safely deploy your customization.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:47 AM
  • Hi Mayank,

How are things going?

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Thursday, October 11, 2018 9:13 AM