Can I add "more" data to existing recordset in MS Access ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-121405395 posted

Can I add more data in maybe 4 steps into the same recordset?

It would be like:

1. addPageLayout = submit

2. addHeadline = submit

3. addPhoto = submit

and addText = submit

... but everything in the same row in the table but at different time?

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:35 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

In the first step, you will create a new record. In the subsequent steps, you will be updating the new record. Therefore you need the identity of the record you created in the first step. Make sure that you have AutoNumber set as the datatype for the id of the record, then you can get its Id using @@IDENTITY: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/54/Getting-the-identity-of-the-most-recently-added-record. You can pass this to subsequent steps using a query string, or hidden fileds depending on what works best for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:17 AM

All replies

• User1867929564 posted

in the same row in the table but at different time? 

I think,yes.using datatable or dataset,session.
    But you hv to re-explain ur requirement again to get exact answer.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:14 PM
  • User-121405395 posted

Hi and thanx for the answer....

In details I have a content management system I´ve developed last year and I´m just improving it further....

I want the user to add new page in a different way.... so he choose layout from 4 various types and hit update and
    a info is sent to the field "layout" in lets say the table "tblPages"

now the user can view the layout and next step is to add headline, image and short intro-text, user hits submit and
    info go into the SAME row under fields "headline", "file1" (the image) and "introtxt"

Then he choose type of modules to add the main-text, "plain text", 3 text boxes with icons or text boxes in single line with max 5 lines
    User choose "3 text boxes and info is sent to the field "moduleType" in the SAME row in tblPages

Hope this is understandable :)

Friday, February 4, 2011 4:46 AM
  • User1867929564 posted

i) all these thing happen in one page or different pages ?Say I choose layout in PageA then to select  other thing I will be in same page or navigate to other page ?
    ii)User can select any layout and at the same user can add headline, image and short intro-text.
    and hit "update".then all the info get submitted.
    iii)also user can select layout now and later on user can 
    add headline, image and short intro-text.
    and hit "update" then all info of that user get updated.
    iv) what is the table structure ?
    v)Are you able to identify user?How ?

Yes,you can do this.Just get started and if any problem then ask.

Friday, February 4, 2011 5:50 AM
  • User3866881 posted

Hey OP... KumarHarsh is friendly to tell you that everything can be done.

Have you got any issues? Maybe you should feeback to us, whether your problem is solved or not.

Thx very much

:) 

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:57 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

In the first step, you will create a new record. In the subsequent steps, you will be updating the new record. Therefore you need the identity of the record you created in the first step. Make sure that you have AutoNumber set as the datatype for the id of the record, then you can get its Id using @@IDENTITY: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/54/Getting-the-identity-of-the-most-recently-added-record. You can pass this to subsequent steps using a query string, or hidden fileds depending on what works best for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:17 AM