Continual reboot-Acer Iconia W500

Question

• I installed W8D on my Acer Iconia W500.  I then installed MS Office Home & Student 2010 and Outlook 2007.  Everything was running great until the system performed an automatic update.  My system then went into a continual reboot cycle.  I used the Advanced Repair function, but Windows indicated it could not repair the system.  It did not list anything wrong, however.  I was forced to reinstall Win7 Home emergency CDs that came with the Tablet.  I've attempted the W8D installation 5 times this week, and every time it works fine until the automatic update sends it into the reboot cycle. Has anyone else seen this?
    Friday, October 28, 2011 2:51 PM

All replies

• DustyRhodes,

Have you tried hiding this particular update instead of installing it?

Also, Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Thanks Chris,

I've reinstalled W8D again, and I've held back on installing some of the software I put on the machine the previous times.  I also installed MS Office 2010 and Outlook 2007 on the "C" drive this time, instead of installing it on the 128Gbyte SDXC card; thinking that perhaps the Office programs didn't like being on a drive different from the boot HD.

So far, all updates have gone without a hitch, and I a writing this note from the Iconia W500.

I wasn't sure how to provide feedback from W8D while the system was constantly rebooting, so I really appreciate the link you sent me!

On a different note; I tried downloading the Bosch G driver so that W8D would shift from landscape to portrait mode, but after trying to install it several times, the system still does not recognize when I shift the display to vertical.  Not sure what to try next.

Thank you!

Dusty

Thanks! -Dusty
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Chris,

Do you know of any incompatibilities with W8D and WINDVD version 9? WINDVD9 requires installing Microsoft DirectX Feb 2007 Runtime and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable package (x86).

This program is one of the few remaining programs I have yet to install in W8D.  The other is Photoshop CS.  Everything else is running okay so far, and I don't want to risk ruining my progress so far.  Is there a program incompatibility list for w8D that I can review?

Thanks,

Dusty

Thanks! -Dusty
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:35 PM
  • DustyRhodes,

Have you tried installing the problematic drivers in compatibly mode?

You can do this by following the below instructions:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

·         Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Please post back with your results.

I am unaware of any compatibility list at this time.

Thanks,

Chris
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Chris,

I have not tried compatibility mode, only because once I installed W8D I reinstalled most of my software at once, so I wasn't sure what software might have caused the reboot loop. 

I just installed WINDVD9 on a quadcore desktop and have no reboot problems, so I'm going to try it on the Tablet next.  Wish me luck!

Dusty

Thanks! -Dusty
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:14 PM