Visual Studio 2017: How to configure to deploy to both 2008 and 2017 Report Server environments? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Recently we converted a large reporting environment (1000+ reports) from SSRS2008 to SSRS2017.  For a period of time, I need to support both environments, building, deploying, and configuring reports for both SSRS versions.

I am trying to use Visual Studio 2017 with SSDT installed.  The environment works great and I am able to deploy to both versions of SSRS.  The problem I am running into is how to configure multiple deployment environments and quickly switch between environments.

Ideally, I would like to create two configuration environments:  SSRS_2008 and SSRS_2017.  I would like to quickly switch between these target configurations by clicking on the menu ribbon (Solution Configurations)/(Solution Platforms) dropdown menu. 

My Report.sln has 60+ projects with 5-50 Report_xxx.rdl files. Today I have to configure each OutputPath, TargetServerUrl, and TargetServerVersion property manually before I build and deploy.

How do I configure my environment to quickly switch between the two environments without having to tediously go through each project each time I want to Build and Deploy? 

It looks like I should be able to do this, but some how I'm getting VS Configuration Manager wrong!  I've read numerous documentation, but it I'm missing something!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

--Dan

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi DJAdan

According to your description , seems it is possible to achieve your requirement about the report deployment in ssdt.

It might be limit about the visual studio ,you could post the correspond issue on visual studio for more further research .

If possible you could try to use the rs.exe to deploy the report to different target server via rss script. see:

SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) RS.EXE Utility

Or you could try to change the content about the output path , target server version, target server url in the .rptporj file batch on demand by code like below:

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

• Marked as answer by DJAdan Friday, May 10, 2019 12:38 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:16 AM
  • You can Setup different deployment configuration in the Project properties, then you Need only to Switch between them, see Set Deployment Properties (Reporting Services) and Deployment and Version Support in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Edited by Olaf HelperMVP Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:50 AM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi DJAdan

According to your description , seems it is possible to achieve your requirement about the report deployment in ssdt.

It might be limit about the visual studio ,you could post the correspond issue on visual studio for more further research .

If possible you could try to use the rs.exe to deploy the report to different target server via rss script. see:

SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) RS.EXE Utility

Or you could try to change the content about the output path , target server version, target server url in the .rptporj file batch on demand by code like below:

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:16 AM
  • You can Setup different deployment configuration in the Project properties, then you Need only to Switch between them, see Set Deployment Properties (Reporting Services) and Deployment and Version Support in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Edited by Olaf HelperMVP Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:50 AM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Hi Olaf and Eric,

Thank you for your help.

I have been reading the documentation you mentioned studiously but can't get it to work.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  Do you have working examples of this?

Eric -- are you suggesting I manually edit 60 different *.rptproj files?  I could insert the code-block you are suggesting, but I was hoping to use VS to do this in a supported manner.

Thanks again,

--Dan

Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Hi DJAdan

According to your description ,seems that you could try to create two config template , and then you could try to switch the configure template via click the button in the tool bar .

See:

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Friday, May 10, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Your example is exactly what I am trying to do.  That is what is failing.

However, I have discovered that if I create the templates as you suggested, AND THEN, use your prior suggestion and manually insert the XML code block into each project_xxx.rptproj file, I can get it to work.  Once I do this, switching between configurations on the menu ribbon works.

The problem with this approach is that I have to be careful in my syntax, because the TargetReportFolder changes for each project, and I have to insert the XML carefully with Notepad++.

I was hoping that the integration of VS and SSDT would make this simpler.  I'm sure there is a supported way to do this, but I haven't found the magic sauce.

Thanks for your help.

--Dan

Friday, May 10, 2019 12:38 PM