none
Visual Studio 2015 repeated crashing after applying Update 3 patch (KB3165756)

Question

• Greetings,

Last night I installed the "Update 3 patch" to Visual Studio 2015 Pro. This is KB3165756. Today I've had VS crash multiple times. I've been mostly working with Typescript files today but I can't pin it down to a specific action. This is on a Win10 pro machine with all latest patches installed.

Here's the two errors in my application log:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 14.0.25420.1, time stamp: 0x57685d85
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.494, time stamp: 0x5775e78b
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000bdae8
    Faulting process id: 0x480
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1de06fb385f84
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 6bfe71ab-f7c2-477c-8e1b-8f69dfabc65c
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: devenv.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsRunningDocumentTable4.IsDocumentDirty(UInt32)
       at Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Editor.TypeScript.Features.CompileOnSave.FileSaveMonitor.SaveDirtyFiles()
       at Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Editor.TypeScript.Features.CompileOnSave.CompileOnSaveHandler+<HandleFileSave>d__13.MoveNext()
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Is there a documented fix or workaround for this or should I uninstall the patch?

Thanks.

Greg Enslow

Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:48 PM

Answers

• Visual Studio alerted me today (7/20/2016) that there is a new version of KB3165756 available today. I see the version number has gone from 14.0.25422.0 (which I installed last week) to 14.0.25424.0.

I'm installing this new version now. Maybe it will resolve the issue.

Greg Enslow

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:36 PM

All replies

• Friend of mine had repeated issues until he ran this to clear out the MEF.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/22b94661-70c7-4a93-9ca3-8b6dd45f47cd

Friday, July 15, 2016 12:17 AM
  • Same here. I've crashed about 10 times this morning. Whether I'm stepping through code, or just executing. It has completely frozen VS + app twice but the rest of the time, it's just crashing and restarting VS.

Edit: I'm not working with typescript. I'm working on a UWP game/engine.
    Friday, July 15, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Hi Gavin..Williams,

>>Edit: I'm not working with typescript. I'm working on a UWP game/engine.

Just to make this issue clearly, whether all UWP apps have the same issue? For example, just create a blank UWP app, how about the result?

Before you install the KB3165756, you have installed the update 3, am I right? It worked well before you install this kb, am I right?

(1) Please make sure that the UWP app designer has no issue when you double click the XAML file.

(2)Please run your VS in safe mode:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode: This can eliminate the possibility the Add-ins or the extension tools are causing problems.

If still no help, not a real solution, just a troubleshooting step, you could remove this kb from the control panel, check it again. But if it still has this issue, maybe it is not the KB's issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 18, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Visual Studio alerted me today (7/20/2016) that there is a new version of KB3165756 available today. I see the version number has gone from 14.0.25422.0 (which I installed last week) to 14.0.25424.0.

I'm installing this new version now. Maybe it will resolve the issue.

Greg Enslow

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:36 PM
  • I look forward to hearing from you. Greg Enslow:)

If you get any latest information, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:13 AM
  • I've been crash free for a couple days now. I think the updated patch resolved the issue.

Greg Enslow

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:01 PM