Sql server compatibility issue when create and access database in visual studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After changing to Windows 8.1, I reinstall Visual Studio 2010 as well as SQL Server Express 2012 and 2008 R2 on the machine. But I find that when creating SQL server database in VS 2010 (new item as SQL database), it gives error that "This program has compatibility issue (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2). Also I find some of old projects running ADO.net have same issue. I need help on this. Thanks.

York

• Moved by Anna Cc Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:10 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 8:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi York,

Did you come across any compatibility issue when you install VS2010 in Win8.1? Can you create any other kind of project fine?

I'm setting up a Win8.1 VM to test this issue. I'll be back as soon as I have the result.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, December 22, 2014 9:47 AM
  • It looks like ADO.net (use SqlConnection) is no longer working in VS 2010, but EntityFramework works fine.

In VS 2013 web express, SQL database can be added, and not sure about ADO.net connection.

York

Monday, December 22, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Hi York,

Thank you for your feedback! As far as I know, ADO.NET has nothing to do with the VS version. Considering your original post, it may be the version of SQL Server that lead to the compatibility issue.

I help move this case to SQL Server Setup & Upgrade forum and the support engineer there will solve this issue.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:09 AM
  • Hi York,

To use SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows 8.1, please note that we must apply SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 2 or a later update.

To use SQL Server 2012 Express on Windows 8.1, please note that we must apply SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 or a later update.

For more details, please review the following article.
    How to use SQL Server in Windows and Windows Server environments
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681562

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:12 AM