asp.net install files RRS feed

• Question

• User-127506019 posted

I have a computer that is similar to one that uses asp.net 2010 web forms. The application, I am suppose to support runs for awhile, until it gets an error. The computer that I am trying to setup to be like runs completely. That other computer has the following items installed that I do not have installed:

Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 2 - Visual Studio 2010 Tools
    Microsoft Expresssion Blend 3 SDK
    Microsoft Expresssion Blend 4
    Microsoft Expresssion Blend SDK for .NET 4
    Microsoft Expresssion Blend SDK for Silverlight 4
    Microsoft Expresssion Design 4
    Microsoft Expresssion Encoder 4 Pro
    Microsoft Expresssion Encoder 4 Screen Capture Codec
    Microsoft Expresssion Studio 4
    Microsoft Expresssion Web 4
    Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK
    Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK

I would like to know where I can obtain the items listed above? I have an msdn license where I can download items like visual studio 2010 ultimate. When I am on the website, I cannot find the items listed above I am looking for. Thus can you tell me what items I can download to obtain the objects I am looking for?

Monday, September 18, 2017 12:23 AM

Answers

• User1771544211 posted

Hi peggy_girl,

How about if this cleanup tool does not work correctly what is the next step? Would the computer need to be reimaged?

From my point of view, I will backup the data and reimage the computer.

Is there a way for the visual studio 2010 to somehow point to .net framework 4.7?

I'm not sure about if the VS2010 can point to .net framework 4.7, perhaps you can try open a new thread in the Visual Studio forum to discuss about this issue. And I highly recommend that you upgrade to newer version of Visual Studio(VS 2017).

Best Regards,

Jean

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:44 AM

All replies

• User1771544211 posted

Hi peggy_girl,

1. Is there a way to tell what version of the .net framework was used on this workstation? If so, would you tell me how to know what the previous version was?

You can view the registry to check which version of the .net framework is used. About the details, please check the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

2. When I run the visual studio 2010 web form application, it has I do not have the framework 4.0 on this computer, but I do have the framework on this computer. The message says that I need to 

The error message is not displaying. Based on your description, you can try to repair your Visual Studio installation.  VS2010 relies on .NET 4.0 as a prerequisite.  When you re-installed .NET 4.0, you probably messed up the VS2010 installation.

Best Regards,

Jean

Monday, September 18, 2017 5:26 AM
  • User-127506019 posted

Thanks for your answer!

I do have the following additional questions:

1. Do you think a repair of Visual Studio 2010 will solve the issue?

2. Is there a way manually and/on the properties page of the web form application to point to a different .net framework?

Monday, September 18, 2017 5:02 PM
  • User2103319870 posted

Is there a way manually and/on the properties page of the web form application to point to a different .net framework?

You can manually change the .Net Framework for project like below

Please follow the below steps

1. Right click on the YourProject Project menu, click Properties.

2. Make sure Application tab is selected

3. In the Target Framework list, select .NET Framework 4.0 

4. Save and Rebuild the project

Reference URL : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb772098(v=vs.90).aspx

Monday, September 18, 2017 5:17 PM
  • User-127506019 posted

I tried to do what you suggested and I do not have .net framework 4.0 installed on this workstation.

Last week, I tried to install .net framework 4.0, but I got the message that a higher version of the .net framework was installed on this computer. I did have .net framework version 4.7 installed on this computer. So I unintalled .net framework 4.7 and uninstalled visual studio 2012 since I do not have any applications that use it yet. I then installed the .net 4.0 famework.

Today somehow the .net framework 4.7 is on this computer and not .net framework 4.0. I also had uninstalled mvc from this computer since My applications are only setup to be web forms. (I left one MVC application since  it had a warning saying several things will stop working if uninstalled).

So now today, I have .net framework 4.7 on this computer and mvc applications and no .net 4 framework installed. I do not know how that can happen. Do you have any ideas what could cause this problem? Do you know what I can do to solve the problem?

Is there some kind of installer for .net framework 4.0 that will still allow the .net framework 4.7 to be on this computer? If so, where do I obtain that installer?

**Note: My company gave me an MSDN license where I can download what I need>

Monday, September 18, 2017 6:38 PM
  • User1771544211 posted

Hi peggy_girl,

So now today, I have .net framework 4.7 on this computer and mvc applications and no .net 4 framework installed. I do not know how that can happen. Do you have any ideas what could cause this problem? Do you know what I can do to solve the problem?

I think this issue can be caused by registry settings. When you uninstall the application from your server, it may not reset the registry settings.

To clean up the .net framework, you can try use the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, here is the user guide of the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. Please take it as reference.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2008/08/28/net-framework-cleanup-tool-users-guide/

Best Regards,

Jean

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:13 AM
  • User-127506019 posted

How about if this cleanup tool does not work correctly what is the next step? Would the computer need to be reimaged? Is there a way for the visual studio 2010 to somehow point to .net framework 4.7?

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:21 PM
  • User1771544211 posted

Hi peggy_girl,

How about if this cleanup tool does not work correctly what is the next step? Would the computer need to be reimaged?

From my point of view, I will backup the data and reimage the computer.

Is there a way for the visual studio 2010 to somehow point to .net framework 4.7?

I'm not sure about if the VS2010 can point to .net framework 4.7, perhaps you can try open a new thread in the Visual Studio forum to discuss about this issue. And I highly recommend that you upgrade to newer version of Visual Studio(VS 2017).

Best Regards,

Jean

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:44 AM