none
Application minimized, locks up when user restores RRS feed

• Question

• VB.NET application running on XP.  When application is minimized and sits idle for a time, it locks up when user restores it and begins using it again.  Are there known issues w/ .NET and XP that could be causing this?

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

•  Evans1214 wrote:

VB.NET application running on XP. When application is minimized and sits idle for a time, it locks up when user restores it and begins using it again.  Are there known issues w/ .NET and XP that could be causing this?

Hi Evans,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

In my opinion, Windows Xp has no such feature to lock up an application window. In VB.NET you can lock a Form (cannot be moved, maximized, minimized and restored) like this:

Code Snippet

Private Sub Form3_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load    

MaximizeBox = False

MinimizeBox = False

Me.ControlBox = False

Me.Text = ""

End Sub

Please double check the following:

Has Certain lock software been installed?

Does the VB.NET application include lock feature?

Regards,

Martin

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, the application does not include and type of "locking" code on any of the windows.  In discussing the matter with one of my users, I have also learned that the application doesn't necessarily have to be minimized for the issue to occur, it just needs to sit idle for a period of time.  That being said, we do have a connection to an Oracle database that times out after 5 minutes of inactivity.  I wonder if that could be part of the issue.  Howver we have many users on XP, and so far this is the only user telling us of this issue.

thanks,
    Evans

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  Evans1214 wrote:

Unfortunately, the application does not include and type of "locking" code on any of the windows.  In discussing the matter with one of my users, I have also learned that the application doesn't necessarily have to be minimized for the issue to occur, it just needs to sit idle for a period of time.  That being said, we do have a connection to an Oracle database that times out after 5 minutes of inactivity.  I wonder if that could be part of the issue.  Howver we have many users on XP, and so far this is the only user telling us of this issue.

Hi Evans,

I'm not sure the issue is related to Oracle database connection. Can you repro this issue for that user?

Maybe you can get better responses at the ADO.NET Data Providers forum.

I move it there from VB General forum.

Best regards,

Martin

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:18 AM
  • Hi Evans,

I have updated to Windows 10 and I am having a problem with my email locking up when it stands idle for a period of time whether it is minimized or open.  The only way I can get out of it is to do a control, alt, delete and go to task manager and end the program that is running and that is Microsoft Edge.  So I do not know the answer to this problem and I am still trying to find out without making a phone call.  I am not sure who I would call to help me with this problem.  It appears that Microsoft Edge is causing me a problem but I am not computer smart so that is just a guess.

Monday, August 31, 2015 12:23 AM