none
Long Exposure Infrared vs. Infrared RRS feed

• Question

• What are the differences between Long Exposure Infrared and just Infrared? I suppose that the exposure times are different but what are they? What are the impacts between using one instead of the other? For example, can we still simultaneously acquire depth and Body info while using the Long Exposure Infrared?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:40 PM

All replies

• The long exposure frame data are sub frames of the IR data that we get from the sensor resulting in IR that has been exposed over a longer period of time. The result is a higher quality image, with less noise, at the expense of some motion blur for objects that are moving.

All data from the Kinect runtime is delivered at 30fps regardless of how each base data type is generated. The only exception is Color that will go to 15fps when in low light scenarios. If using MultiSourceFrameReader with color, then that is the only time your depth/ir/body data will drop to 15fps.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:33 PM
  • So, I can use MultiSourceFrameReader with the IR? So far, when I use MultiSourceFrameReader with IR, I get the error code E_PENDING but it works with Depth, Color and BodyIndex. Are you sure that IR is compatible with MultiSourceFrameReader?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:24 AM
  • Yes you can using use IR and any other frame source with MultiSourceFrameReader(MSFR). If you are always getting E_PENDING, check your code to see how long you are holding onto a frame.

As a rule, if you are acquiring a bunch of frames at once, IR/Depth/Body/BodyIndex for example, always acquire all your frames, then check for null and process color last. See the CoordinateMapper basics for an example of that pattern. Depending on how you are acquiring the frames and processing the data, if you are holding up the release of the frame reference, you will eventually no longer get data. Remember if you add color, you will only get 15fps.

You can achieve a similar pattern by opening a separate reader for color and checking that reader when you are polling for the other frame types.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:53 AM
  • Does Long Exposure Infrared help us get lower noise in depth frame too? Assuming that pixels are not saturated.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:23 PM