none
Rules, They are there but for other machine RRS feed

• Question

• I can see the rules but they state they are (client only) (for other machine)

I was recently moved to this machine and email pst is on the server and tied to this machine now.

Is there a way to remove from the string in the rules (client only) (for other machine) so they will work?

Manually recreating is posible but would like to avoid that since I have more than 50 rules.

This is Outlook 2007.

Thank you for your help!

Chris Ward

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Note that storing a pst file on a network drive is not supported and can result in a corrupt pst file. That said, if you'll need to edit or recreate the rules. sorry.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:40 AM
  • I don't buy that. I may not know the VBA to do it but I know it can be done. Outlook is really a database type application run by code and Macro. All data that exists can be manipulated through programming and the rules are nothing more than data.

I have found no documentation from Microsoft saying storing a pst file on a network drive is not supported and can result in a corrupt pst file. We have thousands of pst files on the network for several years with no issues. but this is not the point of the question. This is off topic.

How do I modify the rule with code. In Access you can simply output to a textfile your entire form, then delete it from the database and reinsert the Form from the textfile. This is common when corruption has been introduced to the Form and is a great way to fix it without rebuilding it. And really all MS products are constructs of coding like normal dot in word.

There has to be a way I can export and import rules. Another question is why would the rule suddenly add this part to it, "(client only) (for other machine)"? It wasn't there before and it is only on about 1/2 the rules. If I can export rules and modify then import again i'd be oKay with that. Would be better if I could modify rules simply taking that part off.

Chris Ward

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:08 AM
  • >>I have found no documentation from Microsoft saying storing a pst file on a network drive is not supported and can result in a corrupt pst file.

Start with these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/04/03/3401771.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/01/21/network-stored-pst-files-don-t-do-it.aspx

The Rules wizard is not fully supported in the object model. You can do some things with VBA but not everything.  Rules are not easily editable outside of the rules editor  - there is one (1!) rules editor which should give you an idea of how hard it is for developers to work with the rules engine. (Sperrysoftware.com)

Rules which use a pst file are client side and for this machine only, because the pst is on that machine only. For POP3/IMAP, the pst and rule won't move around, but if used in an Exchange account, it is available on every machine where the mailbox is opened - but the pst doesn't move, so the rule fails. Using ' this computer only' prevents it from being disabled when the mailbox is opened and the pst is not available.

Outlook Tips

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Diane,

Thank you for the enlightening material.

Does it make a difference that our setup is that the .pst files are stored on a mapped drive on the network?

I have temporarily moved my .pst file to the local machine but I cannot modify any of the Rules that have (client only) (for other machine).

Since the .pst file is on this machine shouldn't I now be able to modify them manually?

Chris Ward

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:44 PM
  • No, mapping doesn't make a difference.

Moving the pst locally won't change your ability to change the rule. It's the rule/profile that is the problem, not the pst location.

Outlook Tips

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Going back to the old machine with the .pst, all the rules are correct again.

I don't understand, should the .pst file be tied to the user profile rather than the machine?

Chris Ward

Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:18 PM
  • The pst is tied to the profile, the specific rules are tied to the machine (view a guid identifier).

Outlook Tips

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:52 AM
  • If you just remap the target folders of the rules in your local machine then the rules will start working. The message "for other machine" would be removed. Cheers.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:23 AM