none
Sharepoint Designer 2013 - "Wait for item to equal value" not kicking off

Question

• Good Morning,

I am working on a Sharepoint 2013 workflow which is supposed to wait for a supervisor to "approve" a submission before moving onto the next step.  To do this, I have staging set to the following:

Stage: Supervisor Approval Process
    Email Current Item:Department/Supervisor
    then Wait for Supercalc to equal No
         **SuperCalc is a calculated formula using =ISBLANK ([Supervisor Approval]).  Once the supervisor marks the request as approved, the calculated formula goes to No and then is supposed to resume the workflow**
    Transition to Stage
    If Current Item:Supervisor Approval equals Approved  
    Go to Executive Approval Process

Else

Go to Request Rejected

As far as everything goes, the supervisor receives an email letting them know that an item is waiting for their approval.  Once they mark it as approved, however, nothing happens.  The Supercalc column does flip to no, but the workflow doesn't move onto the next step in the workflow.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Any suggestions?

Monday, December 12, 2016 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Coolhead- not sure why you need the formula when you could just base the wait on the status equal to = approved? Anyway, I'd suggest logging each step to see exactly what's failing. Also check the workflow history to see if there's anything in it.

cameron rautmann

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:51 PM
  • The logic looks sound so all I can think of is to check the start conditions of the workflow. If it's not set to fire on item edit, you may have a workflow that's waiting for condition to be set but isn't configured to trigger once an item has been changed.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Steven & Cameron,

Thanks for responding.  I'm looking at doing some logging to see if I can figure this out, but haven't had a lot of luck yet.  As far as the start conditions, I've tried Start on Create by itself, along with Start on Modify.  Start on Create only goes through the workflow once and then gets stuck on the "Supervisor Approval Process", while Start on Modify just repeats the first sequence over and over again, but never actually moves onto the next step.

There are times I love Sharepoint... and times I despise it.  ^_^

I'm going to keep looking on my end, and will try some logging.  Here's the full workflow if it helps to reveal anything I might have missed.

Monday, December 12, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Hi Coolhead2015,

The change in workflow status field, so it will not be monitored by the “Wait for Field Change in Current Item” action in workflow. And the calculated field will not be changed until editing the item.

To achieve this requirement, you could start an approval process and customize this process in SharePoint Designer.

Here are the steps for your reference:

1. Create a list workflow with SharePoint 2010 Workflow platform type for this list/library, and then add “Start Approval Process” action.

2. Assign the approval process to approvers.

Select “serial (one at a time)” order. Then this workflow will assign the approval process to these approvers one by one. If the one of approvers reject it, the workflow ends.

3. Click the “Approval” process to customize the approval workflow.

4. Change the behavior of a single task/the overall task process based on your requirement.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 10:36 AM
  • Hello Linda,

I had previously examined the possibility of using the approval process to facilitate this need, but our task section is currently used for other purposes and individual tasks popping up as part of a submission approval process would interfere with that.  I'm considering an alternative, but would prefer not to have to start over again.  I've taken my Sharepoint Designer workflow above directly from a source on Lynda.com, which depicted the workflow as running correctly, so I'm not sure why it's not running in my case. 

-Rob

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 4:18 PM
  • Hi Rob,

In SharePoint, calculated columns are only updated when an item is edited. After the recalculation, the result is stored in the database and that value is used in views. Displaying a view does not recalculate the column.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 1:27 AM