none
Implementing IoT Core Services RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried following the Getting Started instructions for Windows 10 IoT Core Services but am having trouble on the last step under Using Device Update Center - "5. Follow the instructions in the Device Update Center User Guide to create and publish updates for your device". 

Working through the Device Update Center User Guide, I am stuck on Step 6: Validate the updates on device. I was able to complete "1. Configure your device to Preview Ring." by provisioning my device using TPM to my IoT Hub, installing the DMBackgoroundApp, starting the SystemConfigurator service, and using device twins to change the ring to Preview. 

Now the part that I'm stuck on is "2. Let the device scan for update, the device will detect the published update, download and install automatically (based on the update policies configured)." I changed the policies that I thought would need to be changed in order to let the device update on its own.

Here's my Windows Update Policy settings on the device:

"activeHoursStart": 0,
          "activeHoursEnd": 0,
          "allowAutoUpdate": 2,
          "allowUpdateService": 1,
          "branchReadinessLevel": 16,
          "deferFeatureUpdatesPeriod": 0,
          "deferQualityUpdatesPeriod": 0,
          "pauseFeatureUpdates": 0,
          "pauseQualityUpdates": 0,
          "scheduledInstallDay": 0,
          "scheduledInstallTime": 12,
          "ring": "Preview",
          "sourcePriority": "remote"

I've had the device on for more than 24 hours and it still hasn't updated. From what I can tell my policies are configured so that it shouldn't take more than 24 hours to do the installation. 

Has anyone else had any luck with this that could help me out?

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Monarc,

I will ask other engineers to take a look at this. There might be some time delay. Appreciate for your patience. 

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:47 AM
  • Hi Monarc,

Does the devices update successfully?

if not, to make sure we are understand the problem correctly, were all the steps before Step 6 done successfully? Would you mind also sharing the detailed build version?

And for the issues regarding to the Device Update Center, you can also file the issue Dev Center Portal. Our engineer will help looking into this issue and you will get the professional support more effectively.

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:24 AM
  • Fei,

Thank you for your reply. No, the device doesn't update successfully. 

Yes, to my understanding, all the steps before Step 6 were done successfully. I don't know what you mean by the detailed build version. The package version I shipped is 10.0.0.0 if that is what you mean. 

How do I file the issue through the Dev Center Portal? When I tried to do that is just directed me to use the forums.

Thank you,

Connor

Monday, November 26, 2018 5:04 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for the detailed info for this issue.

>I don't know what you mean by the detailed build version. The package version I shipped is 10.0.0.0 if that is what you mean. 

The build version which means the version of Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit(Windows ADK), Windows 10 IoT Core Packages. You can get this when you launch the shell of iot-adk-addonkit. 

>How do I file the issue through the Dev Center Portal? When I tried to do that is just directed me to use the forums.

Did you mean you file the issue using the button like figure below? And it is also helpful if you can provide the info of CUSConfig.zip file when you file the issue.

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 2:22 AM
  • Hi Fei,

My ADK version is 10.0.17134.1

My IoT Core version is 10.0.17134.1

I went through the support link that you showed and did live chat instead of submitting an incident. The person I chatted with told me that they couldn't offer support for Windows 10 IoT Core Services and told me to try to post in the forum, GitHub issues, or the techcommunity page (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Internet-of-Things-IoT/ct-p/IoT), which I have done all of those already.

Connor

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:47 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for the confirming and detailed info for this issue.

Based on my understanding, the issue is more relative to Device Update Center instead of Windows 10 IoT core service. And to help narrow down this issue, we also need the CUSConfig.zip so that we can ask the relative engineer to look into it. 

Would you mind uploading this file to a security site like the FTP you owned and share the way we can receive it?

Note:You need to remove any sensitive info in the files and you can share the way using this email:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:09 AM
  • Hi Fei,

I just sent the link to the file to the email you requested using OneDrive. Please let me know if you did or didn't receive it and I can try to send again if needed.

Furthermore, let me know as soon as there is anything else you need from me.

Thanks,

Connor

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:41 PM
  • Hi Connor,

I have received the relative files. For the security reason, please stop sharing it now. And if there is any other info required or any progress for this issue I will update here. 

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:12 AM
  • Hi Connor,

Based on the portal side, it looks correct. On the device side can you also help verify that the SMBIOS information is matching the values used? The SystemProductName should be Seeker6

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
        BiosMajorRelease    REG_DWORD    0x0
        BiosMinorRelease    REG_DWORD    0x1
        ECFirmwareMajorRelease    REG_DWORD    0xff
        ECFirmwareMinorRelease    REG_DWORD    0xff
        BaseBoardManufacturer    REG_SZ    Raspberry Pi
        BaseBoardProduct    REG_SZ    Raspberry Pi 3
        BaseBoardVersion    REG_SZ    1.0
        BIOSReleaseDate    REG_SZ    Apr 12 2018
        BIOSVendor    REG_SZ    Microsoft Corp.
        BIOSVersion    REG_SZ    0.1
        SystemFamily    REG_SZ    edk2
        SystemManufacturer    REG_SZ    Raspberry Pi
        SystemProductName    REG_SZ    Raspberry Pi 3
        SystemSKU    REG_SZ    RPi3-1GB
        SystemVersion    REG_SZ    1.0

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Here is my current SMBIOS information from my device:

BIOSReleaseDate    REG_SZ    Apr 14 2017
        SystemProductName    REG_SZ    Raspberry Pi 3

So the only difference I see with yours is the BIOSReleaseDate is Apr 14 2017. However, you say that my SystemProductName should be Seeker6? It looks like that could be my issue as mine is Raspberry Pi 3 right now. So I guess I should change that, but how do I do that?

Thanks,

Connor 

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:02 PM
  • Fei,

I think I found out how to change it. Here is my new SMBIOS information:

SystemProductName    REG_SZ    Seeker6
    If this looks good, then I guess I will just need to wait for the device to scan and update. I will update you on if anything happens.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:09 PM
  • Fei,

There's some problem where every time I restart my device the SMBIOS information resets back to what it was before. How can I persist the changes I make to SMBIOS info on my device? Also, do the other fields like SystemSKU and SystemFamily need to be set to the values I used when creating the product?

Thanks,

Connor

• Edited by Monarc, Inc Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:55 PM
  • Also, shouldn't the BaseBoardProduct be RPi2 as that is the hardware variant id in the update portal?

See the image for more details:

Example

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 10:25 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for the detailed info for this issue.

Is the device updating issue fixed now? The SMBIOS is probably being reset as the RPi UEFI is not modified to update the SMBIOS. ( see https://github.com/ms-iot/RPi-UEFI ). On the baseboard product, yes it should be RPi2 as well. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:04 AM
  • Hi Fei,

No, my device still isn't updating. However, my Azure subscription expired and so both my IoT Core Services and IoT Hub resources were disabled and I had to create new ones. I don't know if this in interfering with my updates at all. I also was going to try creating a new device model to see if I could get results with that.

Am I updating the SMBIOS correctly if it's not persisting through restarts?

Thanks,

Connor

• Edited by Monarc, Inc Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:44 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:18 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Is this issue fixed now? If not would you mind sharing how you update the SMBIOS?

We should modify the RPi UEFI if there is customization for the SMBIOS. More detail you can refer the link below:

SMBIOS data definition TYPE2 Board Information

Please ensure make appropriate modification per IoT license at:
    OEM license requirements

Regards & Fei 

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi Fei,

No the issue is still not fixed. I first checked my SMBIOS information by using `reg query` and then the key name you specified earlier - `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS`.

So that looked like this: 

[169.254.134.56]: PS C:\Data\Users\Administrator\Documents> reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIO
    S

BaseBoardManufacturer    REG_SZ    RaspberryPi
        BaseBoardProduct    REG_SZ    RPi2
        SystemFamily    REG_SZ    Machines
        SystemManufacturer    REG_SZ    Monarc
        SystemProductName    REG_SZ    Seeker6
        SystemSKU    REG_SZ    P001

And then I used `reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS /v value /d data /f` for each value that needed to be changed. For example, `reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS /v SystemProductName /d Seeker6 /f`.

[169.254.134.56]: PS C:\Data\Users\Administrator\Documents> reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
     /v SystemProductName /d Seeker6 /f
    The operation completed successfully.

That's how I was trying to update my SMBIOS. I just tried it now by modifying the RPi UEFI like you showed so I will see if that works.

• Edited by Monarc, Inc Monday, December 10, 2018 5:54 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2018 5:09 PM
  • Fei,

I modified by UEFI like you showed and I think I have made some more progress. Now viewing the Windows Updates node reported on my device using Device Twin:

"windowsUpdates": {
          "lastChange": {
            "time": "2018-12-11T15:53:48.7210653Z",
            "state": "completed"
          },
          "approved": "<error>",
          "installed": "<error>",
          "failed": "00d4ed89-6e5a-490b-8939-4aba85cde82b",
          "installable": "173cc22c-cf64-4222-ab8c-a29e078a7f17/00d4ed89-6e5a-490b-8939-4aba85cde82b",
          "pendingReboot": "<error>",
          "lastScanTime": "2018-12-10T17:55:32Z",
          "deferUpgrade": false
        },

I can see that my update (id: 00d4ed89-6e5a-490b-8939-4aba85cde82b) has been found and is installable. I know that this is the correct update because it is the same one that shows up in my dashboard:

I don't know what the other update that is installable is (id: 173cc22c-cf64-4222-ab8c-a29e078a7f17) though or where it came from. 

The other thing I noticed however is that my update is also reported in the failed property. So apparently my update is now being discovered but is failing to install. Do you know why it might be failing? Do I possibly need to add my update id to the approved property to get it to install?

Thanks,

Connor

• Edited by Monarc, Inc Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Glad to hear we are moving on. Is this issue fixed now? 

I am still confirm with the relative engineer and will update here as long as get the response.

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:09 AM
  • Hi Fei,

No, the issue is not fixed. Everything is still in the same state as my last post - my update is installable but failed. I need to know how to fix this.

Thanks,

Connor

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Hi Fei,

Are there any updates? I'm still stuck in the same place.

Thanks,

Connor

Monday, February 11, 2019 4:20 PM
  • Hi Conner,

Sorry for the latter responding. 

Based on the conversation, the device already detect the update however failed to install. To narrow down this issue, we need to collect the logs and here is the script to collect the logs for your reference:

param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)][string] $IP,
        [string] $logFolder = " ",
        [string] $username = "administrator",
        [string] $pw = "p@ssw0rd"
    )

$nl = [Environment]::NewLine

if($logFolder -match " " )
    {
        $logFolder = ".\Logs"
    }
    else
    {
        $logFolder += "\Logs"
    }

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "$nl$nl ***************  Logs will be saved in $logFolder   **************$nl"

$DeviceAndLocalFolderPair = @{ "\\$IP\c$\data\ProgramData\UsoPrivate\UpdateStore"                    = "logs\UpdateStore";
                                   "\\$IP\c$\data\ProgramData\usoshared\logs"                            = "logs\Usoshared\logs";
                                   "\\$IP\c$\data\SystemData\NonETWLogs"                                 = "logs\NonETWLogs";
                                   "\\$IP\c$\Windows\ImageUpdate"                                        = "logs\ImageUpdate";
                                   "\\$IP\c$\windows\System32\Winevt\Logs"                               = "logs\EventLogs";                               
                                   "\\$IP\c$\Data\ProgramData\softwaredistribution\logs\windowsupdate"   = "logs\WinUpdate";
                                   "\\$IP\c$\Data\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER"                     = "logs\WinWER";
                                   "\\$IP\c$\Data\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive"       = "logs\WinWERArchive";                               
    }

$reportingLog   = "\\$IP\c$\data\ProgramData\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log" 
    $powercfgOutput = "\\$IP\c$\powercfgOutput.txt" 
    $schtasksUSO    = "\\$IP\c$\SCHTASKS_USO.txt"

try
    {           
        #
        # Remove the old logs' folder if exists:
        #
        if((Test-Path $logFolder))
        {

Write-Host -ForegroundColor RED "$nl$nl===  Logs folder exist -> remove it: $logFolder!"

Remove-Item $logFolder  -Recurse  -force -Confirm       

}

Write-Host -ForegroundColor GREEN "===  Create local Logs folders: $logFolder\... !"

md $logFolder
        md $logFolder\UpdateStore
        md $logFolder\Usoshared\logs
        md $logFolder\NonETWLogs
        md $logFolder\EventLogs
        md $logFolder\ImageUpdate
        md $logFolder\WinUpdate
        md $logFolder\WinWER
        md $logFolder\WinWERArchive

Write-Host -ForegroundColor YELLOW " `$logFolder  $logFolder"
        if($USOLogDecode)
        {
        Write-Host -ForegroundColor YELLOW " `$logFolder  $logFolder"
            Write-Host -ForegroundColor YELLOW " -----  Create USO decode Logs folders: $logFilder\logDecoded  !"
            md $logFolder\logDecoded
        }

#
        # Check powercfg  /request on the device:
        #

$secpasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString $pw -AsPlainText -Force
        $remoteCreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ($username, $secpasswd)

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts -Value $IP -Force
        $s = New-PSSession -computername $IP -credential $remoteCreds

Invoke-Command -Session $s -ScriptBlock {powercfg /requests | Out-File c:\powercfgOutput.txt}

Invoke-Command -Session $s -ScriptBlock {SCHTASKS /query /TN \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\ | Out-File c:\SCHTASKS_USO.txt}

#
        # Done with the remote session:
        #
        Remove-PSsession $s

#
        # net use to get access to the athens device
        #

cmd /c  "net use \\$IP\c$ /user:$username $pw"

#
        #copy the powercfg output and reporting log and  Scheduled Tasks under UpdateOrchestrator
        #
        copy-item $powercfgOutput   $logFolder -force
        copy-item $reportingLog     $logFolder -force
        copy-item $schtasksUSO      $logFolder -force

#---------------

#Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "computer name: " $IP
        #Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "username: " $username

foreach ($folderPair in $DeviceAndLocalFolderPair.GetEnumerator()) 
        {

$logFolderOnDevice = $folderPair.Name
            $logFolderLocal = $folderPair.Value

Write-Host "$logFolderOnDevice : $logFolderLocal"

if(!(Test-Path $logFolderOnDevice))
            {
                Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "=== On Device: ===> Log folder $lf does not exist on the device!"

continue
            }

copy-item $logFolderOnDevice\*.*   $logFolderLocal -force -recurse

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "$nl $nl *************** Logs in $logFolderOnDevice has been copied to $logFolderLocal  **************"

}

cmd /c "net use \\$IP\c$ /delete"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "$nl ***************  Logs have been saved in $logFolder   **************"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Green "$nl ***************  Done !  *******************************************"

}
    catch
    {
        Write-Host -ForegroundColor RED  -BackgroundColor Yellow  "**** OOPs, Exception was caught !  $nl"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor RED  -BackgroundColor Blue    "`t`t $_.Exception.Message"

}

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:22 AM
  • Hi Connor,

Is the issue fixed now? If not, would you mind let us know the the result of the command shared in my last post so that we can dig into this issue deeply and provide the solution to fix this issue?

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Sorry I have been on vacation and haven't been able to run the command you sent yet. I will be back tonight and will post as soon as I am able to run it.

Thanks,

Connor

Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:51 PM
  • Fei,

I'm back to where I was before now. I ran the script you sent me, but it didn't seem to do anything. It created a lot of log folders but most of the folders are empty.

However, looking at the contents of the script I was able to figure out where it was looking for the logs on the device so I just looked through them on the device itself. I found this:

Log

You see the line I highlighted says that an error occurred while downloading the update, but that's all the information I could find.

Thanks,

Connor

• Edited by Monarc, Inc Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for this detailed info. 

I am contacting the relative engineer to help looking into this issue. Your patience is appreciate.

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Friday, March 29, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi Monarc,

I am confirmed with relative engineer. And this issue should regard to that there is a problematic serviced deployment around mid December(For 1 Day).

To fix this issue, please resubmit a new version package. And please feel free to let me know if you still have the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:15 AM
  • Hi Monarc,

Did you try resubmit a new version package? Please let me know if it works for you after you resubmit a new version package.  

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:27 AM
  • Hi Fei,

I just tried resubmitting a new version package and I left my device on overnight to see if it would pick it up and install it. When I came back to my device this morning, I noticed that it seemed like it was stuck on the boot screen. See my picture, below:

So I'm not sure if it downloaded and installed the update but the UEFI got messed up somehow so it won't boot? I can't verify that it installed the update because the device won't finish booting up.

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Hi Monarc,

Thanks for this update info.

Does the RPi2.BootFirmware package as is from Microsoft?

Regards & Fei

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 3, 2019 2:03 AM
  • Hi Fei,

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you please explain in more detail?

Thanks

Friday, May 24, 2019 7:01 PM
  • Fei,

I am still having this issue. Could you please assist?

Thanks,

Connor

Saturday, December 14, 2019 6:12 PM