none
What pass to add device drivers? RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to add an "Out-of-Box" driver, I have the option to add the driver in Pass 1 WindowsPE, Pass 2 OfflineServing, or Pass 5 AuditSystem.

I have a video driver, a LAN driver and an audio driver (and perhaps others later) from our vendor.  How do I know what pass to add these drivers to?  Why would I not add them to the earliest pass (i.e. Pass 1 WindowsPE)?

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:27 PM

Answers

• Pass2 OfflineServsing is the one to choose. Pass 2 is the point where the IBW is copying all the OS and extra files to the disk. WinPE is for the WinPE instalation media and not the custom image. AuditSystem is another option only if you are going to run Sysprep and set audit mode.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Pierpont Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by beemr007 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:53 PM
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:31 AM

All replies

• I install my audio driver this way and I have it added to Pass 1.  Generally, you won't do much with Pass 5 or 6. 

Hope this helps.

Rick

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Pass2 OfflineServsing is the one to choose. Pass 2 is the point where the IBW is copying all the OS and extra files to the disk. WinPE is for the WinPE instalation media and not the custom image. AuditSystem is another option only if you are going to run Sysprep and set audit mode.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    • Proposed as answer by Rick Pierpont Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by beemr007 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:53 PM
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Doh! Sorry about that!  I stand corrected -- thanks!
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:38 PM