Determine if user has purchased a different app

Question

• We have an app in the store called Instant Photo Booth. We are developing a higher-end version called "Instant Photo Booth Pro" which contains enough extra features and capabilities to merit being a stand-alone app at a much higher price point.

If we wanted to offer a discounted price for the Pro version to existing customers, how can we determine if the user has already purchased the original, lower-end version?

Since we are the publisher of both apps, we have the certificate id, app id, and product id for both apps. Can we request a receipt for "Instant Photo Booth" from "Instant Photo Booth Pro" so that we can offer a lower price to existing customers? I don't see how this could be done with the CurrentApp object which seems to be the only object that has the functions for getting an app receipt.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thaine Norris

• Edited by dtnorris Monday, November 24, 2014 5:27 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 5:26 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately no, while you likely could somehow check in some way if the other App is purchased (and even that would require tracking server side) you can't set prices dependent on conditions. You can only have a single price for a product/App on the Marketplace.

One possibility could be to add the Pro features to the regular version as well using an In-App-Purchase to give a migration path to existing users while launchin the new App at full price and marketing it separately.

• Marked as answer by dtnorris Monday, November 24, 2014 7:33 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 7:17 PM

All replies

• I think in your case you should simply use in-app purchase to unlock pro feature(s) and continue to use same old app. Is there a reason not to update the old one?

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:31 PM
  • We have several compelling marketing reasons for wanting to offer a separate version.

Is there a technical solution for what I am asking?

Thaine Norris

Monday, November 24, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Unfortunately no, while you likely could somehow check in some way if the other App is purchased (and even that would require tracking server side) you can't set prices dependent on conditions. You can only have a single price for a product/App on the Marketplace.

One possibility could be to add the Pro features to the regular version as well using an In-App-Purchase to give a migration path to existing users while launchin the new App at full price and marketing it separately.

• Marked as answer by dtnorris Monday, November 24, 2014 7:33 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 7:17 PM
  • Thank you Oliver, that gives us some good direction. Short answer, "no it's not possible," so now we will have to explore other options.

Thaine Norris

Monday, November 24, 2014 7:33 PM