none
retrieving the com class factory for component with clsid 8cfeba94-3fc2-45ca-b9a5-9edacf704f66} failed due to the following error: 800700c1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using a third party component using LogParser to query IIS log files. When i start the process i receive the following error:

Retrieving the com class factory for component with CLSID 8cfeba94-3fc2-45ca-b9a5-9edacf704f66} failed due to the following error: 800700c1

Could someone possibly assist me with this?

I am running Windows Server 2008 Standard.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:00 AM

Answers

• I would first search the registry using RegEd to make sure the CLSID is installed on the PC.  Errors starting with 0x8 are either priviledge errors or invalid pointers (pointing to memory that user doesn't have priledge to access).  The object that you are access may be a null so make sure you add a check in your code for null.  It also may be the the object may not exists and that is why I'm recommending doing a search of the registry.

jdweng

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:26 AM
  • There are a lot, but here are some examples:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{8CFEBA94-3FC2-45CA-B9A5-9EDACF704F66}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSUtil.LogQuery\CLSID

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{8CFEBA94-3FC2-45CA-B9A5-9EDACF704F66}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{8CFEBA94-3FC2-45CA-B9A5-9EDACF704F66}

I dont seem to get any results for HKEY_USERS

Also UAC is disabled, and was working fine previously.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:32 AM

All replies

• I would first search the registry using RegEd to make sure the CLSID is installed on the PC.  Errors starting with 0x8 are either priviledge errors or invalid pointers (pointing to memory that user doesn't have priledge to access).  The object that you are access may be a null so make sure you add a check in your code for null.  It also may be the the object may not exists and that is why I'm recommending doing a search of the registry.

jdweng

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Hey, thanks for the reply.

If i go through the registry i get multiple results for cfeba94-3fc2-45ca-b9a5-9edacf704f66.

What would be the next step?

Appreciate the help

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Bump - anyone?
    Monday, March 18, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Which top level folder in the registry?  It may not be registered under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER.  Try running the solftware under an admin account.

jdweng

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:15 AM
  • There are a lot, but here are some examples:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSUtil.LogQuery\CLSID

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{8CFEBA94-3FC2-45CA-B9A5-9EDACF704F66}

I dont seem to get any results for HKEY_USERS

Also UAC is disabled, and was working fine previously.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:32 AM
  • I suspect when the service was installed the wrong permissions were giving to the service.  the service may of been given the wrong permission and simply changing the permission of the service may fix the problem.  uninstalling and reinstalling the service may corrrect the problem.

See webpage below

http://msmvps.com/blogs/erikr/archive/2007/09/26/set-permissions-on-a-specific-service-windows.aspx

jdweng

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:46 AM
  • I'm not really sure to what service you might be referring to? LogParser?

I basically run an application that uses LogParser to Query IIS log files.

Sorry if im asking to many questions.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:51 AM
  • What type of application ae you using?  The application may not of been installed properly.  I'm not sure if the error is due to the application not beeing installed or LogParser not being installed properly.  I assume you are running the code from a Client PC and not from the IIS server.

jdweng

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:11 AM
  • I am using a third party tool that uses log parser to query the IIS log files.

http://niknak.org/archive/iistrafficmonitor

I doubt it is the application, as any application i have tried (That uses LogParser) to query also gives me the same error.

I have re installed / repaired LogParser countless times.

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:51 AM
  • What version of VS and Net are you using?  Did you try to download the VB source code and recompile with you version of Net Library?  I assume you followed all the other instructions on the webpage.  I would try unistaling the application, rebooting the PC, and then start an installation from scratch.

jdweng

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:38 AM
  • I downloaded the installation files on that website and installed it (Did not compile it)

But its not the application, as i have tried similar applications and get the same error. It used to work, something must have changed.

I have even tried installing Windows updates and rebooted the PC multiple times.

I even thought it might have been on my user profile, so i created a new user and get same results.

I have .NET Framework v2.0.50727 and .NET Framework v4.0.30319 installed.

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:45 AM
  • The webpage you posted is from 2007 which I think means it was written for Net 2.0, but could of been written for Visual Basic 2006.  You may want to try recompiling and setting the compile option for Net 2.0 instead of the default Net 4.0.  I'm not sure why that would give the CLSID error.  You may have a Net Library installation problem or a permission issue.  There is a forum that specializes in the Net Library installation errors.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/threads

jdweng

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:53 AM
  • The weird thing is if i install it on our DEV server running the same OS and IIS version then it works......................
    Monday, March 18, 2013 12:40 PM
  • The same version of Net?  The Net Library uses some of dlls in the c:\windows\system32.dll folder and these dlls could effect the results.

jdweng

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:58 PM