none
Which is the best way to deploy an UCMA Workflow App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I did my first UCMA Workflow App. In Visual Studio 2008, when I build the solution in release mode, in the Release folder I have an exe file of the application.

If I launch the exe file, everything works!

I moved that application on a production server and everything goes as expected!

Now I have to complete the last step: I've to run the application without login into the server.

SO, I tried to use installutil to have an ucma service of my app, but I get "No public installers with the RunInstallerAttribute.Yes attribute could be found" error.

Am I on the right way? How could I use a UCMA app like a service?

regards

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:42 AM

Answers

• This doesn't sound UCMA specific.

You can't make a service out of any console application.

You should create a new service application project and handle the Start and Stop events to start and stop your application code. The service app will create an .exe which you can install with installutil.

My preferred way of doing this is to have a console app, a service app, and a shared library which contains the application code. The console app's Main method and the service app's Start event handler call the same function in the shared library to start up the application.

Regards,

Rasmus

• Proposed as answer by Oscarn Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alessandro Alla Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:55 AM

All replies

• This doesn't sound UCMA specific.

You can't make a service out of any console application.

You should create a new service application project and handle the Start and Stop events to start and stop your application code. The service app will create an .exe which you can install with installutil.

My preferred way of doing this is to have a console app, a service app, and a shared library which contains the application code. The console app's Main method and the service app's Start event handler call the same function in the shared library to start up the application.

Regards,

Rasmus

• Proposed as answer by Oscarn Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alessandro Alla Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Thank you for your answer!

I didn't found any Microsoft documentation about the release of an UCMA app, so is service app the best way to deploy applications like that?

Regards

iwgroup

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:51 AM
  • I guess you are making a bot of some kind, since you are doing a workflow application. In that case it needs to be always running, and then a service application is a good choice in my opinion.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:53 AM