How to prevent web.config inheritance for SMTP settings RRS feed

• Question

• User244077932 posted

Hello,

I have a child .net 4 web application which is trying to inherit the parent .net 2 web.config file. That's caused some issues, but I've seemed to have resolved most with <clear/>. However, in the parent web.config I have some encrypted sections, one of those being the system.net/mailsettings/smtp section. The child application is trying to inherit this but is getting the error "Configuration Section encryption is not supported". I can't seem to use <clear> or any other method to prevent inheritance from occurring in this situation.

The .Net 2 parent application is in the process of being replaced (as is the web server), but that is still a number of months away. Moving to a subdomain isn't an option as using SSL certificates on multiple sub domains doesn't seem to work in IIS7.5

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 5:02 AM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

And this is really defined as an application in IIS ? You could try to drop encryption and see if you go past this error message (and posisbly accept that for few months if this is the only way to make this work) Also not having the same version for the parent and the child could also be a problem (I'm not doing that but i'm not 100% if I tried as much as I could or if as it was not a requirement for us, I just gave up on lokking at this in details).

BTW not sure which problem you have with subdomains? Could it be related to the certificate not having the correct wildcard ?

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:09 AM