none
How do we get our AddIn into the ribbon for an embedded document? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi DavidThi808,

You had mentioned that,"when I then embed a worksheet in a word file, I don't get my menu. What would cause it to not work in this case?"

If possible then try to post the detailed steps and also try to share the sample file.

We will try to make a test with it and try to narrow down the issue.

It is nowhere mentioned that why ribbon will not appear when user embed the workbook in word document.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi DavidThi808,

You had mentioned that,"However if I put an embedded Excel Worksheet in the Word document, then when I either edit or open the worksheet, my AddIn is not in the ribbon."

Did you check that Whether your add in is active or not?

If it is active then, did you set your ribbon to display on specific event?

Try to set it to display all time. It may solve your issue.

If issue persist then try to provide detailed steps to reproduce the issue.

We will try to make a test on our side to check the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 9, 2018 4:10 AM
  • Hi;

Our Add-In adds to the ribbon in the OnConnection() event (we use the COM API, not VSTO). So yes, when Word, Excel, or PowerPoint start, our additions to the ribbon are displayed.

I don't know how to check if our AddIn is active if we're not in the ribbon - is there a way?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

You had mentioned that,"Our Add-In adds to the ribbon in the OnConnection() event "

Does this event get fired when you open or edit any embedded document?

It is possible that this even not get fired and your ribbon not get load.

In that situation, You need to find other ways to deploy your ribbon to make it available all the time.

Then you can hide or show it as per your requirement.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:17 AM
  • I'm sorry, I mis-spoke before. Our main class extends IRibbonExtensibility (and IDTExtensibility2).

So, if Office is looking for that, we should get called for our adding to the ribbon.

Should this work? Do you have a sample that does work?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:10 PM
  • I have more info on this. I put a breakpoint on my IRibbonExtensibility.GetCustomUI(string ribbonId) method. It hits when I open Word.

But when I go to edit or open the embedded Excel worksheet my method is never called. And with Word set to show UI errors, I get the following,

So why is it unable to call GetCustomUI() in Excel for the embedded object?

If I run Excel by itself it does call GetCustomUI() and my ribbon shows fine. It's just the embedded case.

thanks - dave

Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:51 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

I can see that you are getting an error ,"The Call to Get CustomUI() for RibbonID Microsoft.Excel.workbook" failed.

Please check that the RibbonXML is added to your project(s) as embedded resource.

If it is not, then try to correct it may help you solve your issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:10 AM
  • Hi Deepak;

I know we have the ribbon set up right because if I run Word or Excel, our AddIn is loaded and it is in the ribbon.

But when I then embed a worksheet in a word file, I don't get my menu. What would cause it to not work in this case?

thanks - dave

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:48 PM
  • Hi DavidThi808,

You had mentioned that,"when I then embed a worksheet in a word file, I don't get my menu. What would cause it to not work in this case?"

If possible then try to post the detailed steps and also try to share the sample file.

We will try to make a test with it and try to narrow down the issue.

It is nowhere mentioned that why ribbon will not appear when user embed the workbook in word document.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:44 AM
  • Hi Deepak;

Based on your reply I reduced to to almost nothing and you're right, the AddIn, including the ribbon, works fine in the embedded document. So it looks like the issue is I'm throwing an exception early.

I have a new question in for this issue.

thank you - dave

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:02 PM