Search Control Takes Ages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem searching for some controls in my web page.

I have registered a temp user if anyone can take a look:

URL: www.sd-qa.com
    User: SDAutomation
    Password: SD123456

For example, under top menu there's a button named "My Pages".
    adding it through builder seems to find it OK.
    but when trying to access it (drawhilight / refresh it in the codedUI test builder) takes around 60 seconds.
    this happens for many other objects on this page.

any idea or workaround for this will mean a lot.
    Thanks in advance,

N.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi SDAutomation,

Can you validate if your control's properties are changing during run time? If this is the case, check if the smart match options are enabled. This might slow down the tests. Go through the following blog by Mathew on Smart Match & Slow Coded UI Tests.

Thank you

Bharath

Bharath G P MSFT

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Sorry for late reply as I was OOO.

anyway, the suggested solutions were not helpfull I am affraid.

I would appreciate if someone could login to our system and check this specific case that blocking us from giving an automation to an important client.

How to reproduce:
    Login to system, add on of the top menu items and try to do anything with it (DrawHilight / Click).
    even when adding it through the builder and then pressing the refresh to identify it on screen takes that much time.

Thank you for the support,
    we can't work with codedUI untill we understand and fix this issue.

N.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi SDAutomation,

Sorry for my delay.

I’m afraid that we couldn’t login this app, just to make this issue clearly, did your coded UI test play back normally? Do you get any error message if the result is failed?

If you mean that the coded UI test playback normally, but it will take a long time to access it. Maybe you could add more specific search properties for this control, and check it again.

In addition, if the control comes into existence albeit after some delay, you might need to apply some wait features provided in the playback. Check the related blog here.

Reference:

Troubleshooting Record and Playback issues in Coded UI Test

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:54 AM
  • read your post, understood it and it's not it.

please, try to access it once again:
    ComboSelection: DGX

just need to open "CodedUITestBuilder", select uicontrol (lets say the browser), add it and then search for it (press refresh icon) in "codedUITestBuilder.
    you will see that the search takes too much time, even when searching the browser itself.

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Hi SDAutomation,

Glad to receive your reply.

Actually we aren’t allowed to access this site, and it seems that the account has expired.

Just to make this issue clearly, whether you close the app which you are testing? If you record a simple app, for example, the windows Calculator, whether it has this issue?

One idea is that you could try to check the APP with UISpy, and check whether there are many controls in your UI, so it would take a long time to search the control.

In addition, could you get a blue boundary for the control you want to search like the following screen shot? I get this issue (it takes a long time to search this control) if I close the app UI. If I open the app, click the “Refresh”, it would search the control quickly and share us a blue boundary for it.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Thank you Zhai .
    it seems like the UISpy finds it quite quickly while the CodedUI isn't.

draw higlight in CodedUI takes 20-40 sec while the UISpy finds it in seconds (2-3).

we are running codedUI automation for many web applications, same technology but this product makes us very challenged.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hi SDAutomation,

Glad to receive your reply.

As my understanding, if there are many controls in your app, maybe it would impact the performance.

If possible, you could try to check it in the VS2012.

If it has the same issue, you could submit the suggestions and ideas: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there and people can vote. If you submit this suggestion, I hope you could post that link here, I will vote it. Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:02 AM