Metro UI Internet explorer missing

Question

• Hello,

I just restarted my computer and found that the metro UI Internet Explorer was missing. Its icon was replaced by the desktop Internet Explorer on the metro UI. Is it possible to get it back without resetting or reinstalling windows. I loved the metro UI internet explorer.

Thx

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• We have seen some bugs around this, here's something that you can try to work around this for now and get the Metro IE experience back.

Go to 'start' and search for 'default', this will take you to the 'default programs' control panel. Go into the 'Set your default programs' control panel applet, select Internet Explorer, and click the 'Set this program as default' button.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Also, for our debugging purposes, have you installed any other browsers?

• Marked as answer by illuminati5288 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:45 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:35 PM

All replies

• At this time there is not a way to install individual Metro Apps.  If you do a refresh from the Control Panel it should refresh Windows Developer Preview back to its default state without effecting your data.  Let me know if that resolves your issue.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    • Marked as answer by illuminati5288 Friday, September 16, 2011 3:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by illuminati5288 Friday, September 16, 2011 3:45 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:26 PM
  • From the Start screen, type Internet Explorer. Does Internet Explorer show in the results on the left?

Right-Click and choose Pin and the tile should now be on your Start screen.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey Paul.

I have tried that. But when I do that I only get the desktop mode of internet explorer in the search results. So I have pinned only the desktop mode on the Start page. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Have you installed any other web browsers?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Open some link from the metro rss reader. Metro ie will open. you can then click right mouse button to pin it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:03 PM
  • The links from the RSS reader open in the desktop IE

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:43 PM
  • We have seen some bugs around this, here's something that you can try to work around this for now and get the Metro IE experience back.

Go to 'start' and search for 'default', this will take you to the 'default programs' control panel. Go into the 'Set your default programs' control panel applet, select Internet Explorer, and click the 'Set this program as default' button.

• Marked as answer by illuminati5288 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:45 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Yes I have installed Google Chrome and set it as the default browser.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Thx Scott...It did help.....I got the Metro UI IE working again
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:46 PM

Same problem happening with me after installing Google Chrome. Metro IE has disappeared and I don't want it to appear at the cost of removing Chrome as my default.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:09 PM